Black smoke and terrible fuel mileage - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2011, 11:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Black smoke and terrible fuel mileage

I have an '02 F250 Powerstroke. It has started getting terrible fuel mileage and billows black smoke on acceleration. I've noticed that it smokes when the transmission kicks down on acceleration. I realize it will smoke some on hard acceleration, but this looks like a pile of tires on fire. Mileage has gone down from 17/25 to 11. The truck runs like a scalded dog but I can't carry enough fuel with me. I have a Superchips Flashpaq. I get better mileage and power with it over stock but the same smoke problems. I suspect the FICM or PCM but don't want to start throwing parts at it. I had the injector o-rings changed not long ago and was told the injectors were in good shape. The truck has about 153,000 miles on it. Anyone have any ideas about what my problem is? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2011, 11:42 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Have you removed the chip completly and tried to run it?
Old 04-01-2011, 01:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

What chip? If you mean the Superchips programmer, I have returned it to stock but I still get the smoking but not as bad. I get worse fuel mileage in that configuration.

Paul
Old 04-01-2011, 02:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Same Problem...no guts

I have just signed up to this forum basically for the same reason...to get an answer as to why I have no power. 2003 F350 SD 4x4 SRW...can't pull a wet stick out of a dog's you know what !! Was on the Ford Enthusiast Forum and someone told me to check the hose going into MAP sensor...its OK...checked for a recall for a timing sensor...recall was performed for a cam sensor that was for these trucks stalling out for no known reason....mine has not done this since I've had it....Dealers says there were no recalls on timing sensors...bought truck in 03 of 2010 w/153K miles on it.....can't seem to go over 60 MPH when pulling a 15K, 5th wheel up a slight grade in NE Ohio. Others in my area suggest it may be a wastegate problem... a farmer in my area has the same truck and he has had a wastegate problem that sticks once in a while and dumps raw fuel...could this be???I too have around a 10.5 MPG (not pulling anything and averaging 65 mph.) vs. what should be around 17-20 MPG with a 3.73 rear end. At one time last summer, I tried to pass a slower moving vehicle and when I tromped on it...it almost died...had to move back in behind the vehicle I tried to pass (talk about being embarrased). Got an appt. to the dealer on Monday for a full blown, 2 hour, $125 (minimum) diagnostic....was hoping to get some good advice before then to avoid the appt. Dealers say they actually use starting fluid sprayed on hoses to check for in-leakage (engine will rev if leakage is there). Need more sound advice......thanks...wrpdjp
Old 04-01-2011, 02:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

sounds to me that you have a hole or crack in the turbo tubes, I would start there. Take the boots off completly so you can inspect them, then check them tubes real close.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Same Problem...no guts

I have just signed up to this forum basically for the same reason...to get an answer as to why I have no power. 2003 F350 SD 4x4 SRW...can't pull a wet stick out of a dog's you know what !! Was on the Ford Enthusiast Forum and someone told me to check the hose going into MAP sensor...its OK...checked for a recall for a timing sensor...recall was performed for a cam sensor that was for these trucks stalling out for no known reason....mine has not done this since I've had it....Dealers says there were no recalls on timing sensors...bought truck in 03 of 2010 w/153K miles on it.....can't seem to go over 60 MPH when pulling a 15K, 5th wheel up a slight grade in NE Ohio. Others in my area suggest it may be a wastegate problem... a farmer in my area has the same truck and he has had a wastegate problem that sticks once in a while and dumps raw fuel...could this be???I too have around a 10.5 MPG (not pulling anything and averaging 65 mph.) vs. what should be around 17-20 MPG with a 3.73 rear end. At one time last summer, I tried to pass a slower moving vehicle and when I tromped on it...it almost died...had to move back in behind the vehicle I tried to pass (talk about being embarrased). Got an appt. to the dealer on Monday for a full blown, 2 hour, $125 (minimum) diagnostic....was hoping to get some good advice before then to avoid the appt. Dealers say they actually use starting fluid sprayed on hoses to check for in-leakage (engine will rev if leakage is there). Need more sound advice......thanks...wrpdjp
Old 04-01-2011, 10:48 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
first of all 7.3's dont have an ficm thank God those pos' suck, we have IDM's. secondly it sounds like you have a huge boost leak because it shouldnt be smoking that much with a superchips. Check your uppipes and IC boots, etc.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well my 99 has been running rather poorly,and mileage seems to be down.
Also, I hear a strange sound, like the exhaust plugging, runs like its laboring, then all of a sudden it runs fine, smooth etc. but it does this quite a bit.

Reading through the forums, I read about the back pressure tube/sensor.
Went and looked at mine, and the tube is broke in half! go figure, only 240K, Well, I am hoping this takes care of my problems, ($67 at Ford for the tube, If I replace the sensor, $127) but since the tube was not plugged, I am going to try just that first,. actually came right apart, exhaust system parts, and I was actually able to unscrew them with ease. ( i have had the truck since 2000, so I know this was never looked at. Everyone is saying this is an annual maintenance item.

Well see how it runsl

Mike
Old 09-23-2011, 02:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well, I'm still trying to figure out what is wrong with mine. Replaced the map sensor, replaced the IPR (it had a stuck piston), put an 88mm new turbo on it. Replaced the intake with a K&N system. I inspected all the boots and find no cracks. Replaced the fuel filter and the fuel was clean. The ICP sensor is clean and working. It passes all IDS tests and the mechanic says I probably have worn out injectors at 162,000 and that I should flow test them and or replace them. That's expensive and I'm told 7.3l injectors don't wear out/break down that often so I don't know. The IDS test on them did show a 2-4% inefficiency on numbers 2,3 and 8 at idle. That goes away with throttle opening so I don't know if that 2-4% is enough to hurt the mileage and cause the smoking. Anyone have any idea of the expected service life of these injectors? I had the o-rings replaced about 8 mos. ago, but the mechanic didn't suggest a flow test at the time. Can't think of anything else to do except jack up the radiator cap and pull a new truck underneath it. Thanks for any ideas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.