Be merciful, I'm an idiot. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2011, 05:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Be merciful, I'm an idiot.

Ok... I know what I need to know is on here somewhere.
I've searched a bunch, but don't know enough to know what I'm looking for.
I'm pretty good with a gasoline engine, but kinda ignorant with diesels.
got "all the tool in the world" but only a code reader, no real scanner.
no stealership nearby but a few "good" diesel shops.
here goes:
I got a great deal on a 1999 7.3. Knew it needed a little work but couldn't pass it up.
280K long distance haul (no load) highway miles.
excellent service records - the company takes care of their trucks.
Really clean underhood - no leaks.
uses zero oil, 20 mph average, 26mph or so on the highway (checked it myself - was told it was geared for running, not pullin'- sounds reasonable to me)
absolutely no smoke at all, a little fog on a cold day, but just no smoke - I was told to be surprised about this.
I live in south GA, so our "cold" is nowhere near what I read about others' "cold"
if that's enough background...
I'm calling it a "miss", what else can it be? with a cold engine (first start of the day) I got the usual lack of power and clatter and stuff others identify. power returns when it gets to operating temp.
when its warm, I have a "stumble" or miss (vibration) at 40 - 60 mph or so - at a gentle cruise - unless i'm into the throttle. usually around 1000 - 1500 RPM. It's better around 2K rpm. I have an occasional "miss" around 2k rpm, but nothing common nor regular.
Idle is 90% good, occasional misfire if you listen long enough.
no CEL. and the ICP sensor-thing came out clean (not oily).
again, no smoke at all.
I'm going to clean the EBP and pipe apparatus today.
what do I need to be looking for on the board?
sorry so long, but wanted to give all the info I can for you "smart guys".
Thank you
Rev. Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2011, 05:41 AM
Semper Fi, Devil Dogs!

Curious what the problem is, Subscribing
Old 04-01-2011, 05:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

well my grandad ended up having this issue a while back with his truck and i think it was a 2000 or so. i think my dad hooked up his scanner and it turned out to be an injector issue. ill get a hold of him and see how that thing acted and compare your to his and he might have an idea. cause this sounds familiar to me. cause he had high miles and did a lot of highway (lived in gulfport-biloxi miss.) he hauled no loads and a 20ft trailer with material after rita and katrina. but his sounds like your case though.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thank You. I appreciate it.
Rev. Chris
Old 04-01-2011, 06:16 AM

well talked to my dad and is having the same issue, his issues were with glow plug wiring and all that mess. hes in a 95 7.3 so those are the common issues with those trucks but he was saying his issues were the same as yours, so he had unplugged his fuel bowl heater and he has to plug his truck up every night and occasionally ether start it. and he has replaced the gpr, wiring harness and gasket with after market cheap stuff, and still had to replace one side again cause it didnt connect very well but the second set worked fine. but he said with this crappy fuel they have these days will do a number on your glow plugs for one thing and then your fuel bowl heater my be an issue as well. let me remind your this is just comparing issues you know so he just said look into your glow plug system a bit more cause you might have wiring issues as to why it is hard to start and quite possibly fuel bowl heater issues. those were just what he was talkin about on his truck and is having the same symptoms. hope this helps.

nate

(edit
as for my grandads issues he was having injector wiring problems on a couple of injectors two different occasions. he had a miss on one cylinder, ended up being wiring. the next time, same issue, more injectors same problem. he was saying that the wiring would start to almost "just come apart" from the injectors or just get loose. he said at cold, wouldn't run well, warm it would run better but connections came apart way to easy and caused the problems left and right you know. so again his deal is just under the valve covers really check the wiring and the connections.

footnote for fuel bowl heater, how he disconnected it there is a hose you have to take off and a nut that is on a left hand turn and is also plastic, he said be careful because he broke his. he said it broke way to easy so be easy with it and remember left hand turn (just in case you mess with this part)

good luck!

Last edited by nate87; 04-01-2011 at 06:22 AM. Reason: left out info
Old 04-01-2011, 06:38 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate87 View Post
well talked to my dad and is having the same issue, his issues were with glow plug wiring and all that mess. hes in a 95 7.3 so those are the common issues with those trucks but he was saying his issues were the same as yours, so he had unplugged his fuel bowl heater and he has to plug his truck up every night and occasionally ether start it. and he has replaced the gpr, wiring harness and gasket with after market cheap stuff, and still had to replace one side again cause it didnt connect very well but the second set worked fine. but he said with this crappy fuel they have these days will do a number on your glow plugs for one thing and then your fuel bowl heater my be an issue as well. let me remind your this is just comparing issues you know so he just said look into your glow plug system a bit more cause you might have wiring issues as to why it is hard to start and quite possibly fuel bowl heater issues. those were just what he was talkin about on his truck and is having the same symptoms. hope this helps.

nate

(edit
as for my grandads issues he was having injector wiring problems on a couple of injectors two different occasions. he had a miss on one cylinder, ended up being wiring. the next time, same issue, more injectors same problem. he was saying that the wiring would start to almost "just come apart" from the injectors or just get loose. he said at cold, wouldn't run well, warm it would run better but connections came apart way to easy and caused the problems left and right you know. so again his deal is just under the valve covers really check the wiring and the connections.

footnote for fuel bowl heater, how he disconnected it there is a hose you have to take off and a nut that is on a left hand turn and is also plastic, he said be careful because he broke his. he said it broke way to easy so be easy with it and remember left hand turn (just in case you mess with this part)

good luck!
+1 on checking the fuel bowl heater. Mine went causing a no-start, and did NOT blow the fuse until we put in a crappy aftermarket one. DONT WASTE YOUR TIME with an aftermarket one. It's 1/2 the size, and it didn't fix mine. We replaced it w/ a ford one, THEN found the #22 fuse blown. (Blew with the AM heater)

I would definately check the GP system, but might be worth checking your electrical/wiring, I remember a thread recently where the guy had a similar problem to yours, and it was the wiring UNDER the valve covers.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:52 AM

if it is doing it after engine is warmed then it doesnt have anything to do with gpr or plugs. One of your injectors is having issues. my two cents would be that until it gets really bad it will be hard to find unless you have an extra injector. make sure no fuel is leaking around bottom of injectors and that wiring harness is fully seated on all injectors. (requires taking off valve covers)
Old 04-01-2011, 07:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

going to find a shop to run a scan and tell me if/which injector(s) are not firing. What kind of scanner do I need to ask about to get the knd of report I need?
What is the preferred (and preferably most reasonable, ie "cheap") source for the appropriate injector(s).
ALSO: when I swap out these injectors, I am to assume I should replace this very much talked about electronic harness in/on/under/around the valve covers?
I told you guys, I'm an idiot...
I need a ebp tube. I took it off to clean it and it has a nice hole/gash and may as well replace the sensor.
anybody also know where I can get one (that is unless someone wants to give me a early Christmas present. lol.
THANKS!
Rev. Chris
Old 04-02-2011, 02:28 AM

well my dad now prefers his snapon solus scanner cause it pulls all codes not just generic codes released by the dealers. any scanner like that is what they would need to use to pull any model specific codes to really determine what the issue is. i plugged in some cheapo scanner from advanced auto parts and got nothing, plugged my dads snapon up and pulled 6 codes. just make sure they arent using a cheapo $60 scanner that you could do yourself at auto zone and them charge you out the rear for the service.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yes. there are a few.... um... "Less than reputable" shops around here.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.