Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

IPR or injector issue

3K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  nate87 
#1 ·
I searched the forums about the IPR issue and nothing really fit my situation for a 99.5 7.3...

codes being showed are:
P0641 (no description cause it was off of an edge programmer)
P1210 Injector control pressure above or below
p1211 Injector control pressure
P0478 Exhaust pressure control valve High...(rest was not shown)
P1209 Injector Control Pressure Fault ( i believe thats what it said)
P1249 Wastegate faild

all mods are listed in the signature.

well my truck is hard to start, typically just kind of eases into an idle just about 500, oil pressure according to my dads scanner is just about 440psi and is almost a rough idle now going from roughly 500-600 rpms. you can rev the motor and it will go through the rpms and show under a hard rev maybe 2000 psi but only saw once. now when the truck is in drive, you can push the throttle in and get no response at all what so ever, but if you hold it there, it will progressively.....but very slow, build up a small bit of boost an fuel to get the truck movin. with that bein said, my dad's snap on scanner showed that when the truck is in drive and power braked at any throttle position the oil pressure wont go about 440 (avg) psi until after a couple of seconds and then again, progressively build. now when we were monitoring the IPR it showed to have voltage at the solenoid, but as for the IPR percentage showed 0%...(usage i assume on the mechanical side). well we hoped for a software error but hooked his scanner up to his 95 7.3 just to see what the scanner would show on the same things that were being monitored. everything showed to be the same...except for the IPR. the solenoid volts showed the same, but the IPR percentage showed to climb when either in park and rev'ed or in drive and power braked. I know these are pretty in the end two different set up between motors, but the fact that in the same tests and same areas being watch are showing two way different results (monitoring the IPR). regardless of what motor it is, the IPR should be showing on his scanner to be running. mine doesnt show to be running. I found a replacement mechanical part for the IPR on diesel site and it had a description for the type of codes (1211) so i gave him a call and he gave me a call back. we discussed it for a few minutes and he said that he thinks its an injector issue not an IPR issue. but on the other hand ( my dad being ase master certified for over 30 yrs) says he doesnt see it being an injector issue but is stickin by his diagnoses as the IPR bein the cause of problem. I hope maybe someone has an answer, I already ordered the IPR mechanical portion from Bob Riley at diesel site to swap it out and see what happends but im just seeing if any of yall might have had a similar problem or know of a for sure solution as to what this could be. I hope i gave enough info to kind of narrow things down as much as possible cause i know its hard to figure somethin out with out being there next to the vehicle itself. Any help is much appreciated!

Thank you,
Nate

See less See more
#3 ·
I have a similar issue. Mine has a miss when it starts but until it warms up a bit you can push the pedal to the floor the truck slowly starts to move then it just takes off like a bat out of hell I think I'm getting air in my hop system. I tried cleaning my ipr no change if you figure it out post it up. Good luck

#4 ·
thanks and will do, i might have an answer this weekend. we'll see. but i think my situation is gettin worse because after driving my truck will fall into a low idle....just a hair above 500 rpms and will fluctuate a tad bit at idle the whole time, and the truck died at a stop light. and when the motor is cold its got a knock like it might have air in the oil and the truck runs better than the norm that i am seeing. but after it warms up it goes to complete s***. see, i can floor it and it wont move, but when it does move im in turtle speed and get nothin but light acceleration and hard shifts. but not burnt oil smoke, light black smoke rarely and no white fuel smoke. no cycliders out and injectors are running fine to my knowledge. but like i said i might find out this weekend if my part comes in and ill let you know.

#6 ·
I would try an IPR, the IPR controls what kind of PSI you're getting from the HPOP, I am having some issues myself with low HPOP pressure and a sticking IPR so I am replacing them both, hope this helps :thumb:

#7 ·
yeah anything helps, and ive got the mechanical portion of the IPR on the way from diesel site cause the whole thing is expensive as hell for somethin so small you know. but the thing is showin the voltages and such, just no pressure nor percentages you know. we thought about the hpop bein the issue and i dont think we have much evidence to show that to be the issue but more for the IPR....but hell, we'll find out monday.

#9 ·
well swapped out the IPR and got a tiny response but went back to crap. turns out to be the hpop......great.. haha broke truck and broke in the bank. yes!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.