Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Did Boost leak test!!!!

16K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Demo250 
#1 ·
First off, Thank you to everyone here. I have learned a lot. I bought my 2001 F250 about two years ago. It has had much less towing capabilities lately. After a lot of research on this site I built a boost leak detector. I was able to pin point many leaks so far. The most concerning is A Lot of air coming through the oil fill neck. I olny had to put 5psi to the turbo to find it. It was so loud i went straight to that.

Im kinda scared to ask but any Ideas?

Thanks in advance

#2 ·
youre pushing air into the crankcase through the intakes on the heads. it naturaly goes to the oil fill neck at the head. its its easiest path. I never have done a boost leak test, so i dont know if this is normal or not.

#3 ·
Well I solved that problem.

For all us NOOB. Do not do leak test with stock ccv hooked up. Or at least hook detector up straight to the turbo.

Thats the good news.

Bad News: I have boost leaks all over the stining place. Can I just take apart and clean all the hose coming out of the turbo or do I need new ones?

Thanks again

#4 ·
Is there a tutorial anywhere on building this boost detector? I suspect I have a few small leaks.

But to answer your question: Yes, try pull all your plumbing apart and clean up all the grease and oil and grime. It may or may not help, but it sure wont hurt anything.

#5 ·
the boots may be shot. if you use carb cleaner and get them cleaned up well, you can probably get away with using stock boots. when you go to put them back on, spray the inside of the boots with some cheap white rain or other cheap aerosol hairspray. then put the boots back on the intercooler tubes and such. it will help out greatly with the sealing and holding.

#6 ·
Thank you HVAC for the tips. I think I am just going to replace the boots since I have it apart. The best I can tell there is no leaks between the plenum and the engine. Would you recomend changing gaskets there anyways?

Demo: There is several threads describing the boost leak detector. I used a standard 3" pvc pipe cap. Drilled and tapped it in the center. I put a air quick connect in it and scuffed the outer edge with 60 grit sandpaper. then I used a regulator to slowly bring my psi up to 15psi. I started seeing leaks well before 15psi. Use dish soap and water in a spray bottle to locate leaks. make sure to clamp it in the intake tube on the turbo side of the CCV.

Hope this helps

#7 ·
Demo: There is several threads describing the boost leak detector. I used a standard 3" pvc pipe cap. Drilled and tapped it in the center. I put a air quick connect in it and scuffed the outer edge with 60 grit sandpaper. then I used a regulator to slowly bring my psi up to 15psi. I started seeing leaks well before 15psi. Use dish soap and water in a spray bottle to locate leaks. make sure to clamp it in the intake tube on the turbo side of the CCV.

Hope this helps
Perfect! Thanks for the explanation. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.