I think the IPR o rings are the problem??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2011, 09:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I think the IPR o rings are the problem???

I have read up on this site and many others to try and find out what the crap happened to my truck and I think it sounds like it might be the IPR o rings so I wanted to make sure I have this right.

Here is what happened:
Prior to today there have been absolutely no problems with starting or running.
7AM: Truck started quick like it always does with no problems. It was about 45 degrees.
Drove to my parents house about 15 minutes away with no problems
7PM: Truck started quick again with no problems and it was about 45 degrees again.
Drove 2 miles and turned the truck off to go in a store.
7:30PM: Truck cranked longer than normal. Took about 5-7 seconds to start which it never does.
Drove to my house which was about 10 miles away. The truck still seemed to run fine and there were no lights coming on or gauges reading high or low.
7:45PM: Shut the truck off. Let it sit for about a minute. Went through normal starting procedure and it now wont start at all.
9:45PM: Tried to start the truck again and it still wont start.

Findings:
When I am holding the starter on the RPM gauge is at about 200RPM, The fuel gauge drops from about 3/4 to 1/4, the oil pressure gauge climbs, I heard the fuel pump prime, I hear a noise that sounds like a pump/generator under the hood (passenger side fender well) and that stays on for quite a while.

I dont see fuel or oil leaking from anywhere or in the valley. The Oil was changed last week so I checked its level. When the engine was cold (because I cant start it) the oil level was about 1 inch higher on the dipstick than the top mark in the etched area.

Would I be right in thinking this is the IPR o rings??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2011, 09:38 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
thats the vac pump on the passenger side

how many miles are on this engine?

fuel pump failure? hpop failure? check the hpop reservoir.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:44 PM

its at 165k currently. I will check the hpop oil level. It is supposed to be about 3/4-1 inch from the top right?
Old 03-19-2011, 09:54 PM
Banned

ya give or take. it will not completely fill up due to the internal overflow port that puts it back into the crankcase.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:57 PM
Emergency Services

Correct on HPOP level. I don't think its fuel pump since you said you could hear it. One easy way to check is to crack open the fuel bowl drain valve and have someone cycle the key while you watch the drain. If its a trickle of fuel you have no fuel pressure...if it shoots out of there and sprays everywhere then you at least know your pump is putting out some pressure. This is how I diagnosed my pump on the side of the road with a trailer in tow back in January
Old 03-19-2011, 10:06 PM

What other symptoms might I have seen prior to this if it was a fuel pump? There may have been some things that I have noticed but just didnt know that they could be related.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:09 PM
Emergency Services

For me it was just power dropping off and a lack of smoke/performance. Funny thing is it pulled a new gooseneck enclosed up from Oklahoma the night before and was fine...I was on my way to fuel up and get out of town and it just died like it ran out of fuel.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:13 PM

The performance has been a little lower but I think this may just be my perception because I had an intercooler boot pop off when I hit full boost so I have been babying it a bit. The mileage is the only other thing that I can think of that has changed. Driving to Las Vegas I would normally get around 20-21mpg and now get around 17-18mpg on the same drive.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:47 AM

This morning after the truck had sat in the cold and stupid snow all night I went to take a look at the hpop reservoir and when I popped the hood I notice that the passenger side positive battery cable was about half off of its post. I pushed it back on and it was loose and when I tightened it back up I heard the lttle click/buzz that happens when it makes good contact.

I decided to try starting the truck and when I turned the key on to wait to start it I noticed that the battery level was higher than it was yesterday. The truck fired up with no problems.

I am letting it run to get up to operating temps now.

Is there anything that the passenger battery controls alone that the driver side would not have powered on its own?
Old 03-20-2011, 10:43 AM
Banned

nope besides the lack of power. they are daisy chained batts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.