Lots of unwanted smoke.. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2011, 05:14 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Lots of unwanted smoke..

This ordeal started, when I bought my e99 F350. I didn't find out until after the purchase, that the PO had run WVO through it. I have no source for WVO, but have access to a lot of WMO. I thin it with kero and run it through 5 filters and a centrifuge.

After running one tank of my WMO through it, it started smoking quite a bit at idle and low throttle. It then started missing. Thinking I had a hung injector, the PO brought another set of AB injectors to me and also installed them for me. The truck ran flawless for a week, then started smoking again. It now has a slight fuel knock on one cylinder. The truck is parked again, until I can figure out what to do next.

I'm not here, to debate the use of WMO. I do believe that it has possibly loosened the WVO residue in the fuel system and has one or more things clogged. If I may be wrong about this, please let me know. I'm looking for possibilities and things to check/clean. I have a set of AD injectors that I can put in the truck, if need be. I would like to be fairly sure that this problem won't happen a third time. I cannot afford yet another set of injectors.

If anyone has any suggestions on things for me to check/clean, please let me know. I have a schrader valve coming for it, to check the fuel pressure and need to know what else to look for.

Thanks in advance... I really need the help!

P.S. This picture is from the first time it was smoking. It looks almost identical now, except the smoke is more gray.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2011, 07:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Well, there is WMO discussion elsewhere so I'll keep it short. WMO runs in tractors cause they will run on anything.

I bet its the WMO causing the injector failure. I would clean the whole fuel system out and try it on ULSD if you dont lose injectors, then you get to have a WMO vs fuel argument with your wallet.
Old 03-18-2011, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD_Driver View Post
I'm not here, to debate the use of WMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Effreem View Post
Well, there is WMO discussion elsewhere so I'll keep it short. WMO runs in tractors cause they will run on anything.

I bet its the WMO causing the injector failure. I would clean the whole fuel system out and try it on ULSD if you dont lose injectors, then you get to have a WMO vs fuel argument with your wallet.
I've been running WMO for three years and this is the first problem I've had with it. I'm running a mix of 50% pump diesel and 50% thinned WMO. I am waiting on new O-rings and plan on cleaning out the whole fuel system. My original post was intended to get some suggestions, of other things to check. Thank you, for your suggestion.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Did you have any luck diagnosing your smoking problem? My rig does this as well if I have to much oil in the mix. I previously ran mine on vege fuels and had two of the injectors replaced due to them sticking open to return. Now I think that the other two are trying to fail. I wish there was a way to get what ever coating from vege fuels to dissolve and move through to the tank. I really do not want to replace two more injectors if them can be some how cleaned...
Old 05-09-2011, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SargeIndustries View Post
Did you have any luck diagnosing your smoking problem? My rig does this as well if I have to much oil in the mix. I previously ran mine on vege fuels and had two of the injectors replaced due to them sticking open to return. Now I think that the other two are trying to fail. I wish there was a way to get what ever coating from vege fuels to dissolve and move through to the tank. I really do not want to replace two more injectors if them can be some how cleaned...

Once I changed the fuel filter a few times, my problem has gone away... (Knocking on wood!) My truck is running pretty good now. When I have my mix too thick, I tend to get more smoke.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.