Replaced IPR - Now 7.3L engine won't run ... HELP!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2011, 03:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Replaced IPR - Now 7.3L engine won't run ... HELP!!

1999 F250 - 7.3L Powerstroke

I just drove from Idaho out to Atlanta (where I have been stuck working on my truck on the street curb). On the way out, the engine started puking blue smoke really bad. It went through two gal of oil in the 1200 mile drive. I figured injectors or O-rings were toast. The trouble codes indicated injector and IPR issues, so I changed them out.

I changed out all eight injectors & glow plugs, as well as the injector harness and valve cover gaskets I then got the engine running, but it was still running rough and still puking a lot of blue smoke. I then changed out the IPR and started the engine again. It ran smooth for a minute without much smoke, but it then suddenly died and I have not been able to start the engine and keep it running since. Engine turns over fine and acts like it wants to start but it will not. I tried a little starting fluid in the intake to help it out some. With that, it would then start, but then quickly die again. I checked all of the electrical connections I had hooked up from the work and all appear good.

Current codes :
1316 (Injector Circuit/IDM Codes Detected)
0470 (Exhaust Back Pressure Sensor Circuit Malfunction)

I would appreciate any and all help and suggestions to help me get rolling again. Thanks!!
Stan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2011, 06:17 AM

When you pulled the ipr doesn't the hpop res. Drain back to the pan check the resivior
Old 03-12-2011, 03:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck stallions View Post
When you pulled the ipr doesn't the hpop res. Drain back to the pan check the resivior
Yes it would drain but as soon as it ran for that first minute he said it was ok the lpop would have refilled the res in a few seconds
Old 03-12-2011, 03:40 PM

You need to run an injector buzz test. That code 1316 simply means that codes are stored in the IDM and must be retrieved by a buzz test. I would check and make sure the UVCHs are plugged in good to the valve cover gasket
Old 03-12-2011, 03:54 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
try unplugging the icp sensor drivers side front head near fuel bowl. If its bad it may not work., Unplugging it will set it to a default setting.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Today I was able to get the engine running again. It seems that it was a low battery voltage issue. Once I put a charger on the batteries and let them charge for a while, it started right up and ran smoother than it ever has since I have owned the truck.

Now I have to figure out why its blowing a LOT of blue smoke. I hoped it was caused be injector O-rings or bad injectors, but after just replacing all of them, the motor is still blowing blue smoke really bad. I removed the oil filler cap while the engine was running and can feel strong pulses of air coming out while holding my hand over the filler neck. Perhaps I have broken ring(s) and the big smoke trail left behind the truck is due to that ... What do you guys think?
Old 03-12-2011, 03:59 PM

it will smoke for a while after you change it. Did you remove all the glow plugs and turn the motor over after the new injectors went in but before you hooked th current back to them? Its a must to ge all the uel and oil our of the cylinders before its started.
Theres a lot of oil in the cylinders when injectors are pulled.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:00 PM

some presure out of the oil fill cap is normal. Flip it upside down and set it on it while runnin. Does it fly right off or kind of hover a second then slide off?
Old 03-12-2011, 05:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by melmount View Post
it will smoke for a while after you change it. Did you remove all the glow plugs and turn the motor over after the new injectors went in but before you hooked th current back to them? Its a must to ge all the uel and oil our of the cylinders before its started.
Theres a lot of oil in the cylinders when injectors are pulled.
After the engine started, I let the truck idle and smoke for 20-30 minutes. I then removed the battery charger and took it for about a 5 mile drive. It looked like I was fogging for mosquitos the whole way.. smoking really bad!

I did pull the glow plugs, installed the valve covers with a few bolts and cranked the engine a few times to purge the cylinders of oil and fuel. I then pulled off the valve covers and installed 8 new glow plugs, along with new harness & valve covers.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by melmount View Post
some presure out of the oil fill cap is normal. Flip it upside down and set it on it while runnin. Does it fly right off or kind of hover a second then slide off?
The fill cap hovers for a second or two prior to falling off into my hand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.