Bad fuel economy, low power and hissing noise HELP!!!!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2011, 06:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bad fuel economy, low power and hissing noise HELP!!!!!!

So im working on my buddy 2001 7.3 auto trans, he uses the truck everyday on the farm either hooked up to a goose neck flat bed or goose neck cattle trailer haulin cattle so the truck is put to work alot. had 120xxx which is perfect mileage for a 7.3 if you ask me. so his concern to me was very poor fuel econmy i used up about a 1/4 tank and only put on 50 miles and that was jsut the truck no trailer, no i knew there was a problem. also when it was building boost it would hiss real bad looked at the cross over tubes and the one on the passanger side has black suet on the upper part that goes to the back of the turbo so im goin to replace that but i knew it wasn't all coming from there so i looked at the turbo pedastal and that was my big problem so i did my test and verified that that was no working properly so i wired it and unpluged the seloniod to it.. So no i guess my main question is that do you guys believe that that on cross over pipe is hurting his mpg and power????

Things i have tested already:
removed the valve covers today checked my compression 1-7 cylinders have 400 psi after about 5-8 revolutions of the crank, cylinder 8 have 355 :S which worries me because 350 in min. cylinder 8 does have a different injector in it and it did through a cylinder contribution code for it so do you guys think that that injector is not spraying correctly and it is washing the cylinder? and thats why i have low compression or do you thing the rings are going......

Another thought that he wants to do money is not a issue for him and since the turbo pedastal is bad and i have to put the cross over pipes in it what do you guys think about a turbo upgrade?? i mean a pedastal from ford is around 400-500 my cost and the cross over pipes are about 150 my cost for everything but i dont think i can run the stock cross over pipes if we do a turbo upgrade.

Thanks for any help guys i am a 20 yr old kid i dont act like i know everything and i know what im doing just trying to learn lol ive been in the auto business for 3 years so you older tech any help is worth it. all my pids are good in my scanner and the truck is not throwing anycodes at the time. also the truck did have a edge on it but i disconected it for diag proposes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2011, 07:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Really guys no one has any helpful info?!?!?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.