Low boost and lack of top end power - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2011, 07:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Low boost and lack of top end power

Let me just say that i have used this site to solve and troubleshoot countless problems on my 01 7.3 and am glad there are so many well informed people willing to share their knowledge. I just rebuilt the motor in my truck do to having a broken piston. I put 75hp injectors in, i have an adrenaline hpop, diy intake, 4" exhaust with muffler delete, and an edge evolution. the problem is that even with my edge on extreme i can only hit 18 psi of boost. it takes off descent but then just kind of planes out and doesn't seem to keep pulling hard. i tried unhookin the wastegate and still got 18 max. i already replaced the up pipe gaskets before i pulled the motor out and i can't find any boost leaks at the IC tubes. Could this be my turbo going bad? i've been screwin with this for weeks and can't figure it out so any help would be greatly appriciated

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2011, 04:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

did you pull your intercooler pipes off your manifold and do a presure check on the intercooler and the pipes and boots?i usedd some peices of 3" exhaust pipe welded caps on them and put a regulator in one and put 40-45 psi in it then shut the air off and see how fasst the air drops off, if it drops u have a leak,.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i did a preesure check on the whole system at the turbo with a homemade rig and the pressure did drop a little but very slow and i think it was mostly coming from the cap that i made. it seemed to hold pressure really well. if i went anything over 25 psi or so it would blow the cap i made off the turbo so i think the sytem is sealed fairly well i just can't build big boost. which i believe is also why i am getting such horrible mileage and such high egt's, which i forgot to mention
Old 03-01-2011, 03:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

well whAT WOULD BE THE CHANCE THAT U MIGHT OF RIPPED A SEAL ON ONE OF THE INJECTORS WHAN INSTALLING THEM, IT ALMOST SOUNDS LIKE ITS OVER FUELING,DID U RUN YOUR PROGRAMER ON THE STOCK POS, JUST TO BREAK THE MOTOR IN???
Old 03-01-2011, 01:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i don't think so. when i was installing them while it was on the stand i was very carefull to make sure they were going in the bores nice and straight and slid right in with a little pressure. i didn't put the programer in till a week ago and i had around 1000 miles on it or so. it had the same problem before i built the motor, it would take off great but just kind of level off and pick up speed very slowly. i didn't have a boost gauge at the time and i just figured maybe the motor was just tired. i bought it about 6 months ago with 160k on it, got it for $6000 cause it had a slight knock which turned out to be the broken piston in the #7 hole. so i just assumed that was probably the major cause of the lack of power but now it seems to be acting the same with the new motor
Old 03-01-2011, 08:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Did you have anything done to the heads?
Old 03-01-2011, 08:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i was gonna get the heads checked when i had it apart but i snapped the crank in my supercharged mustang which is my only other vehicle so i had to get the truck back together so i had somethin to drive to work. and on the same note when i tore it down everything internally looked brand new still. bearings weren't worn at all, heads were super clean, there was still cross hatching in all the cylinders. so i think the motor probably only had 10k to 15k on it whenever it got repossed and sold to the dealership i bought it from. with the way everything looked inside i figured everything was probably ok minus the broken piston
Old 03-07-2011, 03:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the replies so far, but i still can't figure this beast out. i re-worked my homemade boost leak tester and pressured up the system and couldn't find a leak anywhere. even on stock programming i can hit 17-18psi at 1/4 to 1/2 pedal and if i hold it there till 55-60mph the egt's will hit 1400. could my turbo be shot and just can't put up big numbers? whatever it is its killin my mileage and my wallet at $80 bucks a week to fill up(i'm only gettin about 9.5 mpg) any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Even tho your heads look good they could have cracks in them you cant see. Id take them off and get them pressure tested.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

wait is your turbo stock?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.