99.5 F350 hiccup, bucks, and dies! please help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2011, 04:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Angry 99.5 F350 hiccup, bucks, and dies! please help

Sorry if I am doing this wrong but I have never posted or used a forum before, i have used the search feature and can only find cps problems with my symptoms. I am at the end of my rope here beings I just bought the truck a month ago! My 99 7.3l runs ok until out of nowhere it will start to hiccup, and sometimes buck, it will also die sometimes but starts back up after turning it off and then back on. I have replaced the CPS twice in the last month one black one and one white/grey one. I have also replaced the icp, glow plugs and injectors. the truck is stock with the exception of the 160cc industrial injection injectors. but the truck had this problem before the new injectors so I have ruled that out. please help I have no idea where to continue from here. Also it does not matter the temperature outside or whether it is plugged in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2011, 04:42 PM
WNY Biodiesel Co-op

Did you replace the valve cover gaskets. The connector can be loose. What is your fuel pressure? When it hiccups and dies , does it just shut down or does it feel like its not getting fuel then dies. Do you have access to a scan tool. Check engine light on . Where are you located , maybe a member on here is close by to help you out.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I did not replace the valve cover gaskets although I believe they should have done that when installing the new injectors, dont know the fuel pressure, when it does die it just shuts down. I do not have access to a scan tool although the last shop i picked it up from said it was still throwing a CPS code even though it has been replaced (they also said that it may need a PCM but I dont want to spend 500 bucks if they are not sure its that) the check engine light does come on but goes off most of the time once it is off and restarted until the next hiccup. I am located in parker CO. sorry I know its not alot of info but i work long days, dont have any tools other than basic and live in an apartment building that throws a fit if you are just topping off your washer fluid!
Old 02-18-2011, 07:13 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I recently went thru the same thing ( search for my posts on here)..... I replaced the ICP as it was leaking thru, rebuilt the IPR, replaced CPS, cleaned out the exhaust tube to sensor.

All this helped, but still had issues.

I later gfound the plug to the IPR was bad, replaced that. Still had a miss and was dropping cylinders on and off.

Pulled the valve cover and checked the wiring connections,, BIngo... there was a wire on the bottom of the outside part of the connector that was bare and was grounding out. Taped that up and all is well now.

RB
Old 02-19-2011, 07:15 PM
WNY Biodiesel Co-op

Definitely sounds like its electric in nature, by just shutting down ,instantly.
Old 09-06-2014, 07:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

XR-2001 I looked for your post about this with no luck? I'm having similar issues. I thought it was tuner related at first, but I'm convinced thats not the case. Mine will start fine, then lope 3-4 times and straighten up. Very rarely, it will die after loping, but everytime it lopes it throws the CEL and de-rates the tuner regaurdless of what stage it is in. I did the .50 cent mod last summer, and everything seemed to look fine. But now you have me wondering about the uvch wires. The scan kept throwinf ICP codes, eventhough it has a brand new Fomoco ICP sensor on it, all $185 worth. I replaced it because of the oil coming through the sensor.
Old 09-11-2014, 06:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My 00' developed an issue where it would shut off while driving. No starving for fuel, no rough idle, just simply shut off. Sometimes it would refire within a second or two, sometimes it would wait up to 10 seconds, and other times I had to pull over and wait up to 45 minutes. The local shop ran diagnostic test after test and all signs pointed to needing a new PCM as well. I stopped at a truck stop in Nebraska and it finally decided it had enough and would not restart. Thinking that the PCM had bit the dust I pulled it just for a visual inspection (looking for corroded, bent, broken, or missing pins). Everything looked fine and I reinstalled the PCM and still had no luck. For some reason I had a hair brained idea that maybe, just maybe, the bolt for the harness connection was to tight so I backed it off 1/2 turn. The truck fired right up but gave me repeated problems until I got it home. After telling the shop what had happened they did some research and the bolt for the harness plug has a factory torque spec of 35 in/lbs. They reset the torque properly and it has not done it since. Ironically the shop has a 7.3 drag truck that would launch hard from the line and shut off at 60 feet then refire and continue down the strip. After fixing my truck they adjusted the harness bolt torque on the drag truck and it fixed their problem resulting in nearly a full second shaved off of the E/T.

If any previous owner or shop has had the PCM out and possibly over tightened the harness bolt then this could the problem.
Old 09-12-2014, 04:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Talk about a weird gremlin! Mine doesent shut off, just lopes. 2 days ago, I was decelerating from 55, and it loped and fell to an idle for about 8 seconds. Nothing changed when I hit the pedal, I thought I was going to be walking. I've also noticed from time to time when I have my tuner on teh high setting, the cel will start to come on, and will go out just as fast as it tried to light. Not sure if the tuner is overriding it on the 5th step or what. Hoping to figure it out, I gotta haul my trailer to KY and Indy from OH for races over the next 3 weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
7.3l, bucks, dies, hiccup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.