Bad Batteries / Deceleration Shut Down - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2011, 04:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bad Batteries / Deceleration Shut Down

Sorry for the lengthy post here, but I want to get it all down while I'm thinking about it.

*Money is exceptionally tight right now. There are parts I know need replacing, but have to do a little at a time. I am a damn good parts replacer, but that's about it.

Symptoms In order

1. For the last few months the service engine light comes on randomly then goes off, and truck runs ALOT better when its off and idles erratically when it's on. This has been happening more recently.

2. We had pretty cold weather here in North Texas (13-20 degrees) the past couple of weeks. Twice I had to jump start using starting fluid and two tractors, each one hooked to one battery. GPS has been replaced, but I know I need new GP's *. Also, the fuel pump ran and ran with the key waiting to start. Truck was plugged in. Started noticing fuel smell in the cab when running the heater. A little fuel sits in the valley, but I haven't been able to see where it comes from. Fuel filter has about 5k on it. At partial throttle the truck feels sluggish. Press the go pedal and it accelerates normally.

3. Had to jump start yesterday (one tractor) and use ether. Temp was 50. Checked the battery water level and found a couple cells low on one and one pretty much empty on the other. Topped them off. Ran fine on the way to the job. Restarted after 5 hrs. Truck died twice under deceleration and once at idle after extended 60-70mph freeway runs. Idle was semi-erratic even without the SEL on. Shut the truck off back at the job and after 3 hrs it fired back up. Batteries again seemed weak though.

4. Coming home last night when I let off the throttle it wanted to idle down to about 500rpm. I was worried (Valentines Day and all) about it shutting off after deceleration, so I kept a little throttle on (left foot braking) when slowing down and at stops. After a 10min hwy run (and 5min from my house), it shut off when decelerating (forgot the left foot thing.) Batteries were as close to dead as they can be and still crank the truck for 5 seconds. Then they were dead. Had a buddy that was close come by with his Dodge (yes, he ribs me all the time.) One set of cables to each battery and it fired right up. But...missed at idle and didn't really want to idle at all. After a couple minutes the idle straightened itself out and I made it home.

5. Put both batteries on chargers over night and the charger's auto shutoff showed that both batteries were charged this morning. Turned the key on and the fuel pump ran for a couple seconds then shut off. Cranked it, but the batteries were sluggish and it did not start. Hooked up the chargers and by the amount of amps they were showing, I know both batteries are done.

I know that I need new batteries, but my question is...could the batteries be causing any of the other symptoms?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.