01 F-350 7.3 fully submerged at boat ramp - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2011, 05:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
01 F-350 7.3 fully submerged at boat ramp

Ok guys, I am desperate. This is how it went down. Was fishing a tournament the 1st of Dec, was launching at ramp, in park and emergency brake on, came out of gear and was fully submerged in 16 feet of water for about 4 to 5 hours. The truck sat......yes sat for two months before anything was drained.
at the end of today......differentials are done, engine been drained, new filter - trans same thing, transfer case. All flushed and new fluids.

It shorted the starter, so had it rebuilt and have yet to put it on.

Someone advised me that I remove the glow plugs and turn the crank to force out any water that may be in there.

I have removed the valve covers and all eight glow plugs and I am still unable to turn the crank. Another person suggested that I install the starter and bump it to force it out.

I want to mention that when I was removing the hoses from the turbo, there was ice within the bottom hose. I actually had water in every section connecting to the turbo.

Could ice be causing me not to be able to turn the crank by hand?
Could water be frozen in there somewhere?

Please ask away......I will tell you guys everything I know about this truck and what I have done...."and haven't done"

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2011, 05:18 PM
Don't you worry about it

the cylinders are probably rusted to the wall. I think you may can put a big wrench on the crank shaft and try to break it free. but i may be totally wrong?
Old 02-11-2011, 05:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks for the response,

I can move the crank about a 1/4 of a turn either way.....

is there a certain direction that I should turn? Standing in front of the truck, should it go left or right?

Also, when I drained the oil pan there was about 2 to three gallons of water that came out before the oil started pouring. At first I didnt think that was much......but I have found water everywhere........so that is why I am trying to eliminate all I can....

but I want to make sure there is no water on top of the pistons and that is why I removed the valve covers and the glow plugs.......

any other advice out there?
Old 02-11-2011, 05:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

why'd you wait so long to drain everything?? salt or fresh water?? was the truck running when it got sunk
Old 02-11-2011, 05:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I was told by my "former" mechanic that the fluids had been drained and was told he had done work to it.

With work, the holidays and all that, I really didnt get to go over there until a few weeks ago. That is when I had the truck moved and I have been doing the work myself.

All the oils were drained approx. two weeks ago.

Yes the truck was running when it came out of gear and went into the water.

Fresh water lake.......

The PCM was bad......have replaced it
Old 02-11-2011, 05:48 PM

When you say water was frozen in the turbo line (assuming intercooler piping?), do you mean the truck is still outside in below freezing temps? Iced up in the cylinders? Did the block or coolant freeze?
Old 02-11-2011, 05:48 PM

You can spray some Blaster or any penetrant into the cylinders and turn it to work it in, then spray and let it sit a few hrs and try again.I've seen people get away with this before,but the work was done as soon as the motor came out of the water!!!!
Old 02-11-2011, 05:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yes the lower piping on the passenger side. And I am certain that it did freeze, it was outside the entire time my "former" mechanic had the truck. I have it inside now.

So to answer your question.......probably so.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:28 PM

My boat ingested water this past summer and we let it sit for three days before i went to run a compression test. When i started pulling plugs water SHOT out the plug holes , after the third plug and a test showing 5lbs on the first cylinder i just left alone. Anyway 3 weeks later ( right at a month of water in it ) when the builder got it , the wrist pins were completely siezed and you could turn the pistons 360* and the rod wouldnt budge. I will be amazed if it runs again without tearing into it....
Old 02-11-2011, 06:57 PM

I've never submerged a diesel but have drowned an atv or two. Things aren't pretty inside when they inhale water. Obviously water doesn't compress and the result is normally bent internals. Hope for the best of luck but man....doesn't sound good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.