Wont turn fast enough still? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2011, 05:59 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Wont turn fast enough still?

I'm still trying to get my 01 running. It has a brand new starter on it, and I put the batteries in out of my 99 in it. Had the batteries checked, (they are 3 year old motorcrafts) one was perfect the other tested weak at 850cc but good at 800cc. But even with a charger on the jump setting the truck won't turn over no faster then 200 rpm? I'm lost, any input would be a huge help. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2011, 07:52 AM

I don't know if it has any part of my cranking problem but I don't have head lights or dash lights. Wait to start and all those lights work just not the ones that light the dash up with the headlights on. Everything else works fine though.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

check all of your ground wires, at the batterys, motor, frame and body.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:23 PM

I checked the grounds off the batteries, but none of the rest. I will tomorrow though, thanks. How much juice should I be getting at the starter?
Old 02-14-2011, 06:48 PM

Here's a thought....What kind of starter did you get? I replaced a stock one with a heavy duty gear reduction one and was amazed at how much faster it spins the motor over. If you have a cheaper (weaker) starter it could be your problem even if it is new.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

check for voltage drop from the batteries to the starter, make sure there is no corrosion
on the terminals. corrosion will cause high resistance and not allow all the batteries power reach the starter when cranking. u might want to double check fuses for the no light problems.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:24 PM

I should be getting just 12v at the starter right? I put a new positive cable on it but it didn't help any. The ground cables are junk, but they are tight and don't have any corrosion on them. I still haven't checked any other of the grounds. The truck wouldn't run when I got it (gave $2200 for it cc lariat, with supposedly a remand motor, I have a good E99 motor but I'd like to get this one to run or at least find out why it won't before I swap them) but I changed the cps and the ipr. But now I've run into this problem so idk if that did anything for its running problem. I do have AE in route to the house as of last wednesday.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Put your voltmeter on volts dc, put one lead on the positive of the battery and one on the large stud on the starter (easy to say...) and while someone is cranking it, you will get a reading. Then do the ground, one lead on the battery negative and one to the engine (good bare metal). If you get much more that .5 volt reading, it's cause for concern. If both sides read ok, and your batteries are indeed good, then it's likely the starter or a mechanical issue. You can also check your second battery ground to engine, and the cable that connects the 2 batteries the same way. Remember that to get a valid reading, there needs to be a load on the system (cranking) during each test.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:16 AM

Thanks! That's what I needed to know. Sorry I didn't see where you said what kind of starter is it. I really don't know, the guy gave it to me when I got the truck. I'm considering taking it and gettin it checked just to be sure its not a lemon.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:05 AM

I hadnt had a chance to fool with the truck anymore until this past week. I was showin .2 on the engine block with the ground test. The smaller starter post was gettin 12v before cranking. When the truck was cranking and i put it on the big post it was showing .2 as well.

Any input would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.