HELP! Dealer says pcm losing power. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2011, 06:19 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HELP! Dealer says pcm losing power.

Hey guys, I have a 01 that has been shutting off/losing power intermittently, the truck could just be idling when it happens, or i could be running 70 down the thruway....When this happens all my dash lights come on, SES, Wait to start,water in fuel, ETC....Sometimes the truck stays running around idle speed, but i have nothing if i hit the go pedal....The thing threw at least 10 codes ranging from ICP, EBPV, tranny, transfer case codes, IDM codes ETC...
I didn't want to part change because there were WAY to many codes coming up so i was forced to go to the dealer.
The Dealer had it for a week, the techs drove it home and all to make sure it would act up, which it did. They had their laptop plugged in and when it acted up the laptop lost power before they could hit record...The truck shop manager explained to me that their laptops run off the PCM power and that is how they knew the PCM was losing power... They replaced a relay that they suspected may be the issue and started tracing wires but came up with nothing so far, he feels it may be the PCM taking a crap but doesn't want me to spend 600 on a new one to find out it isn't the issue, so they are still looking into it...I agree with their diagnosis of the PCM losing power because i had codes in the computer that i never cleared, when i went to check the codes a couple days later after it acted up they were no longer there as if i had disconnected the battery or cleared the codes...
Does anybody have any idea where to look to solve this problem? Im sorry for writing this book, but this issue is starting to get annoying, left me stranded the other night and had to get towed to the shop at midnight on a 10degree night.

The truck had a hypertech programmer on it that i removed as soon as i started having problems.

Thanks!
Brad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2011, 09:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I think you can check the power line going to the PCM.

I am not sure what it should read but there are electrical diagrams everywhere that should tell you what you need at the wire.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:22 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
also check the wiring on the shifter for the od kill switch.

laptop runnin on a pcm power? O.o uh why not just use the 12v?
Old 02-07-2011, 03:55 PM

THEY FOUND IT! The truck acted up again, it died and wouldn't restart, they ran tests and checked things...They pulled the pcm out and found a SUPERCHIPS chip in the truck that I never even knew was there!They pulled it out and the truck fired right up. I have had the truck for 6 years and always ran a programmer myself so I guess I have been stacking this whole time :/ So far so good, so I guess this was the culprit!

Thanks
Brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.