ran for seconds and now won't start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2011, 02:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ran for seconds and now won't start

I have a 1999 F350 with a 7.3L. it started and ran for a few seconds and now will not start. I un-plugged the fuel warmer at the filter and still nothing.. A couple of months ago it died going down the road and it was the 30 amp fuse for the fuel system. I am at a loss, any ideas???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2011, 03:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Unplugging the heater is great to do it it's blowing that fuse, but if already blown you'd have to change it first

If the Fuel heater fuse was the problem it would mean the WTS light wouldn't illuminate when you first roll-on the key... Do you have a WTS light?
Old 02-05-2011, 05:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I did unplug the heater and I do have the WTS light when turning on the key. It did not blow the fuse this time just died after start and never started again. Just changed the fuel filter and cps,,,,, no change
Old 02-06-2011, 07:10 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
How about fuel?

Is there fuel in the fuel bowl now? (open the drain level to check)

Does the pump run? (are you a 99.5 or earlier?) Fuel refilling filter housing?

Could the fuel gauge be giving a bad reading? (are you close to empty?)

Was the truck starting from a clod start when this happened or was it an restart?

How cold is it where you are? Could there be ice in the fuel system somewhere? Have you tried plugging it in for a couple of hours?

How's the truck been running otherwise?
Old 02-06-2011, 09:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The fuel bowl does fill up after draining it, I have tried this a couple of time just to make sure. I am pretty sure I can hear the pump running, the bowl seemed to have pressure after trying to start it and then releasing the drain. The gauge reads over a half of tank and has never been wrong before but i will check today.
It was a cold start, that day is had been 4 degrees for two days, I do however always plug it in if it is going to be under 30 because it has never liked the cold.
A couple of times in the previous days it had started for a few seconds and the died but it did start right back up and run fine for the day. That happened twice in the previous few days before it did not start again, if that makes since.

It has been running pretty good otherwise, not much to say there.. I am not sure if it is a 99.5 or newer. How do i find that out??
Old 02-06-2011, 09:36 AM
scuffs *****

Send a message via AIM to Tyler
I recommend pulling the ICP sensor and checking for oil in the connection and make sure the pins are straight and not bent, and make sure that the connector holes are making contact. That can cause it to fire and stall out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.