Cold problems....Help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2011, 09:16 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cold problems....Help

Yes I looked at the cold start sticky and my question/problems were not present. I live in colorado where last night it got 30 below with wind chill and will be no higher that -5 today. Unfortunately my 01 sd lives outside and had to suffer through this last night and now Im paying for it by being stuck at home. The fuel we sell here is treated and is a winter blend. The Truck was plugged in last night.....After I finally got it to start which took at least an hour...with jumping and charging batteries. The truck went into its normal warming cycle higher idle and exhaust....but then after about 5 mins it dies and then when trying to restart it sounds like its only firing on two or three cylinders....then if I wait another hour it does the exact same thing, starts runs for bout 5 mins starts warming then starts an erradic idle and sound like it only firing on 6 cylinders and then dies. When at this point it acts like its not getting fuel kinda. I got it into the gararge and a heater going on the fuel tank and a friend bringing over some 911 in a bit. My question is this: is my fuel in my tank jelled and only the fuel near the heat of the motor "melted" or warm enough to be liquid but once that burns up im back to jelled fuel or do I have a different problem here? The truck is of course running like crap while trying to warm however nothing out of the ordinary except for the dying. I though once I had her going I would be ok but apparently not????? I have about 3/4 of a tank and hoping to get to gas station to top off. Ill keep it in garage tonight cause its gonna be like -40 overnight they say but I need this thing for work....they were not impressed this morning when I said my truck wouldnt start.... Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Andy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2011, 04:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hi, I also live in Colorado and feeling the cold. I had the worst jelled fuel

problem this morning. It sounds like you have a good guess of whats going

on. My truck would idle but as soon as I took off it died, I went to get fuel

additive and that did not mix with the fuel, so a buddy and I towed my truck

to a garage and let it sit for two hours and used a heated power wash to

help the tank to warm up, after that it started up and ran fine and the

additive mixed in. Point is the additive should have been put in two or more

days ago, also only the additive for jelled fuel, the other additives do have

the place and work in other great ways but not for jelled fuel. i also had 3/4

tank, but know I have a full tank and the correct additive in. Good Luck.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Same problem with my buddies excursion this morning here in Abq. Pulled it in the shop for 3 hours and some ford fuel additive. Started and ran like a champ.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.