is this too much blowby (video) Long post - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2011, 04:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
is this too much blowby (video) Long post

I just got this truck a few months ago its a 2001 f350 build date 10/00 with 188k and should have checked for blowby before i bought it, and for forged rods...i have engine serial number 1505246 so i prob got pmrs, gotta check the inspection hole one day. Any how here is the link to the video i just shot

I do have a ccv mod thats routed to the exhaust thats why i showed the exhaust at the end of the clip. Any how, i think the motor was dusted as the compressor blades dont look to swell and the intake was filthy when i opened her up the first time. What do you guys think of this blowby? To me its like a train puffing so i guess i got bad rings or a piston.

I was planning on putting some stage 2 or hybrids and rebuilding my turbo, putting in a wicked wheel and a 1.0 housing or getting a gtp38r, but now that i know i probably have pmrs and this much blowby i dont know what to do.

I called my diesel mechanic who has 01 shortblock that had a bad valve ( i think) not sure if the rods are forged, but he would machine,fix the heads up, and install it in my truck for about $2,600 which sounds like a great deal to me if it has forged rods. I saw that you can get a set of forged rods for around $400.00 on the net so i would get some of those put in as well if it doesn't have them.

Other than the blow by and some various leaks and issues here and there (up pipes, turbo pedestal, dipstick at oil pan) that i know of, the truck runs fine, idles good. I have a generic programmed ts chip on it right now but it does not smoke black hardly at all which concerns me some as my old truck with same setup smoked very hard, but i put a buddy of mines chip in not sure what brand or programs (looked just like my ts except it isnt adjustable) and it fogged pretty hard.

My goal is to put about 400hp to the ground one day...I have about $3500.00 to spend right now, what would you guys do? Get that other motor that i know will last me for a long time and just wait till i save up more for injectors/turbo or go ahead with the injectors now and cross my fingers this thing lasts me a while. I bought this dually with a crapped out zf6 which got rebuilt the week after i got it, so far i am about $6500.00 deep in this truck.

Sorry for the long post, just felt that all that info was needed to get some great info from you guys, i love this forum and 7.3's! thanks for you guys advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2011, 05:06 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Doesnt look like a ton to me, my truck has a ccv mod and can smoke a decent amount.. remember these motors have very high compression and therefore more blow by.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

What injector/turbo/chip combo would anyone recommend if it does indeed have PMR's?
Old 01-24-2011, 05:57 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I dunno a lot about blow bye but I can see a good solid flow from my CCV mod. It dumps out back by the trailer hitch. Then again when its 36 outside it might seems like more smoke.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwink View Post
What injector/turbo/chip combo would anyone recommend if it does indeed have PMR's?
I'm probably going with:

Regulated Return (will be next upgrade this summer -> supports injectors)
Casserly or Swamps stage II single shot injectors
Garrett gtp38r

Just need some $$$ for ^^^

I already have a Dp-tuner which I love.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:15 PM

Usually if its real bad you'll feel it puff on you hand.

You can measure the blow by (I don't know what the spec. is) or take an oil sample for analysis if you really want to know the condition of your rings/cyl walls .

There always a compression test too.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It's really not excessive from what I see. I will make a suggestion to you though. . . next time you change your oil add a quart of Motor-Kote and do so every 4 oil changes. I have a 7.3 with 324,000 miles on it and will tell you that this product pays for itself in reducing engine wear and fuel economy. You'll also notice less blow by once you start using it. Go to http://motorkote.com and check the product line out. The fuel additives are really good stuff too. Least expensive, most readily available place to get it is at Flying J Travel Plazas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.