Won't crank just a single loud CLICK!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2011, 04:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Won't crank just a single loud CLICK!!!

I went to start my 2001 F250 7.3 the other night and after the wait to start light went off I turned the key and nothing but a click. I then tried a again and another click, then it cranked and started. It ran fine. The next morning I went to start it and the same thing except it took me 3 attempts to start it. It was about 20 degrees out. At noon when I was leaving work for lunch same thing except this time it wouldn't start at all. Checked the battery connections, had the 1 month old starter from auto zone checked, so thought it may be the starter solenoid on the fender well. I replaced it and instead of mounting it to the fender well I had my friend hold it to the fender well. The batteries were getting low so we ran jumper cables to the truck and let it sit about 20 minutes. The truck started. He let go and we let it run about 20 minutes. I shut it off, mounted the solenoid, turned the key and CLICK. It doesn't crank. Thinking it was possibly the batteries I bought two brand new ones last night. Same problem. All the truck does is CLICK. I checked the interior fuse box and engine fuse box an d all fuses look good. Help me please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2011, 04:59 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Can ya tell where that "click" is coming from?

I've seen starters that have a bad spot on the commutator get "stuck" in that spot and then "test" just fine... Maybe rap on it while holding the key to start (if the noise is coming from the starters Bendix solenoid)

Could the click come from the starter solenoid you just replaced and, for some reason not getting the power to the starter itself? Check the starter for power when it clicks.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:43 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I would re check all the cables and connections and clean them just to make sure.

Fwiw my friend had a 99 f150 w 4.6l and it was doing something similar. tried swapping starters coils batteries cables for good ones to no avail. Turned out to be one of the cylinders full of antifreeze, blown head gasket.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Next time it will not start hit the starter with a hammer and see if will start. If it's starts put a new starter on it. I have had problems with auto zone starters before. It's not uncommon. Let us know ahem you get it fixed.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:18 AM

Had the same thing happen to mine a few months back, 2004 F250 6.0L, turned out to be the transmission neutral safety switch located inside the tranny on my year and model. Maybe yours is on the outside of tranny, if so, lucky you
Old 01-19-2011, 11:28 AM
O.I.F. Combat Vet 11B

Hope you find out the issue man, I have been having this very similar issue for awhile now. Go to start truck and click. nothing! Try again click and nothing. If I do it 8-10 times or so she will finally turn over and fire up. I have cleaned cables checked batts checked starter put a new ignition switch and starter solinoid to no avail. For the most part she fires right up then when I least expect it click...........
Old 01-22-2011, 12:07 PM
O.I.F. Combat Vet 11B

any updates
Old 02-03-2011, 11:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Update on no start

Curious if you ever found out what was the issue with your starting problems? My 01 just started doing the same thing. I had changed the batteries about a month ago, but thought it might have been due to the temp being 27 degrees below zero, but after it warmed up to about 5-10 degrees it still wouldn't do anything but click at the fenderwell solenoid. I figured that I would check to see if you had found anything before I freeze off my fingers. Thanks.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Question 93_zj update?

Hey bud,

Have you done an AMP test on the starter it self? see what amps you drawing?

Also check to see if you are binding at the flexplate, those autozone specials are just that , from 10,000 units they get to rebuild they make about 5,000 units so there are alot of parts they reuse over and over , so make sure your are not binding and check that AMP draw i think on those 200-300 amps is ok if im not mistaken.

Good Luck , post your fix
Old 02-04-2011, 07:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I had this issue on my 01. Starter cable was loose on the starter. The nut had backed clear off and was gone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
7.3, crank, start

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.