NO power, won't start or stay running, can't get above 20mph - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2011, 10:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
NO power, won't start or stay running, can't get above 20mph

I have a problem with our truck.

Truck is a 2002 F550 7.3 diesel dump truck. Problems started a few weeks back.

It will start cold (sometimes need to keep it plugged in), and run okay for a few minutes, whether you give it time to warm up or not. However, it seems usually after a half mile or so of driving, it dies.

Starts to *severely* bog down. No amount of stepping on the gas pedal make it move any faster or seem to really change the RPM's at all. Then it dies, and won't start back up. It tries to, but doesn't actually start.

Fuel filter replaced maybe a week ago. Truck has about 40k miles on it. Supposedly glow plugs were replaced last year (was told that, not sure if it's true. My brother's truck)

Glow plugs, fuel injectors, fuel pump??? The 'purge valve' seems to work, and if I open that, it seems more inclined to starting after closing it back up, but still it will bog and die again.

Any ideas?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2011, 11:42 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
glow plug relay is shot, get a stancor.. and if you're getting fuel at the bowl fine im going to say its not a fuel problem. Unplug your ICP sensor and see if it runs.. also could be a IPR sticking open..
Doubt its a CPS as they usuallyy just die randomly and dont cause rough running.
good luck.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the advice.

I've also been told that there's two fuel filters, and the main one is under the truck near the driver side. Is this correct?

If so, I only had the secondary one under the hood replaced.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Did you find a solution with your truck? I am having almost the identical problem.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My 2003 7.3 has done the same thing lately. When it happens there is no smoke at all which leads me to believe that it is starving for fuel. It throws a check engine light but apparently it doesn't store the code because I hooked up a scanner and no codes were there. My opinion is that either the fuel is gelling (perhaps due to bad fuel heater) or your engine oil level is low thus not allowing the injectors operate properly. I have not had a chance to experiment with either solution yet so let me know if you get it figured out. Come to think of it, maybe it is the valve cover wiring harness.

Last edited by fatbatster; 03-08-2011 at 10:56 AM.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I think i have my problem surrounded. The fuel heater plug wasn't connected due to a bad weather pack rubber. So far so good but I haven't been out in any real cold weather yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.