Need your Help- Hesitation/Miss Issues - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2011, 05:14 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need your Help- Hesitation/Miss Issues

Guys,
Got a problem on my hands... My 01 7.3 w/160k started jacking with me again yesterday. While driving, all was well, sudden miss began happening. I got 'service engine soon' , 'wait to start' and 'water in fuel' lights all at once as the motor basically died, then picked back up. The miss is only for a couple seconds at the longest.Like a fuel cut off or complete electrical shut off for a second or two.

I thought being winter and pretty cold here for the last few days, that I may have water, so I drained the bowl, went on about my way. But it happened a few more times. Bought a new filter on the way home, Drained bowel fuel into dry glass jar,, no floaties or water, pulled old one, no water visible in the bowel. Installed new filter, same things happens.

It may only do this once in a few miles under all conditions, idle - cruise and under load.

I did try and search this issue before posting. I see people talk about IPR, CPS but no same issues as I have and no real feedback on the solution to the other folks problems. I had the CPS recall and that was changed out at Ford 8 months ago. Not sure which one they installed, gray or black one....

I do not have a scanner, but will try and get to a shop and have the truck scanned today.

Any feedback would greatly be appreciated guys ! ! !

Thanks, RB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2011, 06:58 AM

I found this on Guzzle's website..... hopefully I can find a CPS he references locally and solve the problem.
Maybe someone else can use this info as well..... RB

Pasted From Guzzle's --------

The CPS (Camshaft Position Sensor) is one of the weakest links on the Ford 7.3 Powerstroke engines. The sensor has a high failure rate and common symptoms include having the engine die while driving as if you turned the key off just to have the driver pull over and restart without any problems; periodic 'hiccupping' of the engine; complete failure of the CPS can kill the engine and will not let it restart.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:12 AM

Well,, Installed a new CPS yesterday, truck ran fine, no issues. Dang thing did it again a while ago at lunch..... Any ideas before I have to pay for a shop scan on this thing ?

Thanks, RB
Old 01-17-2011, 04:09 AM

60 views and ZERO help,,, what the heck does it take on here to get some input to these friggin ford problems ? ?
RB
Old 01-17-2011, 06:51 AM

My CPS was also going out, so i replaced it last Thursday. Truck ran fine all day, then I was headed to a funeral on Friday and upon accelerating it hiccuped again. I suspected the CPS. Drove all the way to abilene from DFW, no problems, and then leaving my aunts house headed home and truck completely stalled while going down the road. It would turn over, but no fire. I unplugged the CPS and replugged it in, and it tried to crank once.

Apparently you CAN put too much di-electric grease on the electrical connector to the CPS...
I pulled off the plug, hit it with some PB blaster, also sprayed inside the CPS connector, plugged it back in and truck cranked right up and ran fine all the way home. Started fine this morning, and been running fine ever since.

I don't know if you did the same thing, but that's what worked for me.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:47 AM

Thanks. My old gray CPS had no di-electric grease on it when i pulled it out. I installed the new gray CPS I did not lube it. Still had the issues. I put a small amount of di-electic grease on the new CPS yesterday evening, still had hiccups.

I pulled the ICP connector away fro the ICP sensor, and found the entire fitting filled with motor oil... I think this is it,,, cleaned out sensor and the connector with contact cleaner, same issues with hickup.

I do not believe that the ICP was filled with a mere misting from perhaps the CCV as my motor bay is typically very clear of oil mists.

Is it possible for the ICP sealing capibilities to fail and allow oil to seep up thru it into the connector ? ? .................This is driving me nukkin futs.... ! ................
Just dumped a new BTS in her and can't afford to keep tossing money at it. I am trying to find someone locally that can scan it for me today...

Appreciate it......Russ
Old 01-17-2011, 09:23 AM

Both the ICP and CPS should be completely sealed units, my faulty CPS did have oil inside the connector itself when I pulled the plug out.

I would assume the ICP should be the same, so if you have oil inside the connector, very probable that it is faulty as well.

Im not 100% sure of this, but it makes sense.

Here's a writeup on a similar subject. Sounds like it could be your problem.

Symptoms of bad IPR and ICP sensor - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com

Last edited by Wardog Howling; 01-19-2011 at 10:21 AM.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:34 AM

UPDATE:

Apparently my truck is now stalling, no hiccups or misses, it just is driving down the road and shuts off.

I did notice that I bought the Borg Warner replacement CPS which is the grey colored one. I recently heard the grey one has problems. If I pull of the electrical connector to the CPS, hit it with some PB blaster and reinstall the connector, the truck will start right up.

So I am now beleiving what I am hearing. So questions is, where do I get the black CPS, from Ford house?
Old 01-17-2011, 11:22 AM

Thanks for that link to the bad sensor symptoms...... Looks like a new ICP is in order. I'll get the scan anyway to make sure..

During the Ford recall, they replaced my stock CPS with a gray one. The local International dealer had the gray one in stock. I have heard of the dark gray ones and the infamous black one.

I think Diesel O-rings has some black ones left.

RB

edited part ---- just spoke to Bob, it will be a few days before he can get new Black CPS's out the door, he has them, but not in hand, he has to get them from storage which apparently is not local.....

Last edited by XR-2001; 01-17-2011 at 11:44 AM. Reason: added info on CPS
Old 01-24-2011, 06:20 AM

Well, a scanning is in my near future I reckon............ changed out the ICP,, truck does 85% better,,, still has the slight hesitation like before but now there are no idiot lights coming on when she stumbles.

Gonna swing by and have her scanned toady after work hopefully..
RB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.