hard cold starts lead to no starts ..now stuck at work - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2011, 08:05 PM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to mdkallam130
hard cold starts lead to no starts ..now stuck at work

I have a 2002 f250 with 225000 on the 7.3...been having problems over the last several months with hard starting.... I recently changed gpr, glow plugs, and still having to plug truck in just to get it to start....

temps have got pretty low here lately...batteries are less than a year and a half old...

the truck even when being plugged in sounds a little rough in the mornings...as i drive it that all clears up...however if i run the truck on stock program it is very sluggish and almost like it has a miss to it... put it on 3 and no real problems running wise....

now with all the hard starting and everything i cant even get it to start...it just cranks and cranks.... just put a brand new cps in and the tach is not even moving when i try to crank it .... wth could be going on here....

sorry for such a long post...tried everything i could before i asked for help but im at my wits end ... close to rolling it down a hill if this persist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2011, 03:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
did u replace the gp harness when u did the gp? if not u may have to do that
Old 01-25-2011, 02:05 PM

Also, if you are where the weather is cold, change the oil to synthetic. My 02 goes from hard starting at 12F to being able to start at -30F with standard vs synthetic.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:21 PM
Emergency Services

sorry for so long to respond...the harness are fairly new both sides and just went to a 10w-30 rotella in hopes that will help.... carrying it to have it scanned monday. had to do the AIH code eliminator so i can be able to get the systems scan to get on past this code and do an injector buzz test and cylinder contribution test ...also maybe finally get all codes pulled...

will post the codes once i get them read and will repost a solution once i figure out what it is that its doing
Old 01-27-2011, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdkallam130 View Post
sorry for so long to respond...the harness are fairly new both sides and just went to a 10w-30 rotella in hopes that will help.... carrying it to have it scanned monday. had to do the AIH code eliminator so i can be able to get the systems scan to get on past this code and do an injector buzz test and cylinder contribution test ...also maybe finally get all codes pulled...

will post the codes once i get them read and will repost a solution once i figure out what it is that its doing
when u get the codes pm me i have shopkey at home and can help u with the diagnoses
Old 01-27-2011, 08:00 PM

also did u ohm the gp harness cuz it could be new but still be bad
Old 02-02-2011, 12:48 PM
Emergency Services

ok here is what ive got so far... no codes yet but getting back to the basics instead of assuming everything is electrical.. apparently i have been having low fuel pressure that has been progressively getting worse due to a fuel pressure regulator( putting new orings and spring in to fix that problem).

also had two bad batteries from all the hard cranking due to low pressure and cold weather..the batteries i had were only a year and a half old but this cold weather has had them shot.... replaced them with 2 new from interstate

gp checked out good as well as the relay ...so fingers crossed all is fixed ...will let yall know more tomorrow

thanks for the offer on the codes
Old 02-02-2011, 04:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

jelled fuel
Old 02-09-2011, 10:01 AM
Emergency Services

ok i know its been a while but i thought i would repost what i found out and what fixed my truck... this may be a long read but hopefully anyone who has similar problems will be able to benefit from this.....

Started out by checking the batteries... batteries were bad so replaced with two new ones.

truck was outside and still wouldnt crank, checked all glow plugs, glow plug relay, and and uvc harness...everything checked out good.
Plugged truck up and finally got it started....

figured may be a fuel delivery issue, checked fuel pressure and was only getting 42 Psi ...needs at least 45 at minimum ( replaced o ring on fuel pressure regulator) no reading about 70 psi.

next checked high pressure oil pump to make sure pump was operating properly... got 3000 psi on one bank and between 2500 and 2700 on the other bank... i think operating pressures should be between 600-3000 psi ..so the hpop was good..

done another system scan and had three codes....
ebpv , idm , and AIH were the only three codes... was able to eliminate two of them and because i knew why they were being thrown....

the IDM code could have been a number of things but we found out that i had two bad injectors... so replaced all injectors, all glow plugs , valve cover gasket and harnesses... all this come in a super kit...

truck appears to be running better than ever now... this is what i found.. sorry it was such a long read ..but i hope someone will benefit from this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.