Fuel injector diagnosis help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2011, 06:58 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Briggskid987
Fuel injector diagnosis help

My buddy has a 99 F250 SD with the 7.3L in it with around 100k on it. We took it to an independent shop and was told that 3 of the injectors would need to be replaced. They said once they had it apart they would go ahead and pressure check all 8 of the injectors and let us know on the condition of all of them.

We also took it to the ford dealer for a 2nd opinion and they ran the injector test on it and told us the injector wiring harness was frayed and mangled causing the problem and that none of the injectors were bad.

The independent shop did the diagnosis for free and we were told they put it on there machine and checked it. They did not do any dis-assembly on the engine or anything like that before comming to the conclusion.

My question is would it be possible that because the wiring harness for the injectors was frayed and damaged, would it be possible for it to show up as bad injectors on a different test (possibly a less thorough test)?

I have used the independent shop in the past on many occasions and 65% of their work is on light duty diesel trucks, with the other 35% being in heavy duty truck diesel repair. I have been fully satisfied with their work and prices and have never had 1 issue with anything! They have been in business for over 45 years and get great recommendations from dozens and dozens of people and parts suppliers!

I'm just trying to find out if they were taking my buddy for a ride or this was a mistake.. IMHO, it would seem likely that is was a mistake, similar to diagnosing a spark issue on a car with a bad spark plug wire.
Thanks for any insight on this!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.