Fuel injector diagnosis help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Please Visit our Site Sponsors
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2011, 06:58 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: PA
Posts: 153
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Briggskid987
Fuel injector diagnosis help

My buddy has a 99 F250 SD with the 7.3L in it with around 100k on it. We took it to an independent shop and was told that 3 of the injectors would need to be replaced. They said once they had it apart they would go ahead and pressure check all 8 of the injectors and let us know on the condition of all of them.

We also took it to the ford dealer for a 2nd opinion and they ran the injector test on it and told us the injector wiring harness was frayed and mangled causing the problem and that none of the injectors were bad.

The independent shop did the diagnosis for free and we were told they put it on there machine and checked it. They did not do any dis-assembly on the engine or anything like that before comming to the conclusion.

My question is would it be possible that because the wiring harness for the injectors was frayed and damaged, would it be possible for it to show up as bad injectors on a different test (possibly a less thorough test)?

I have used the independent shop in the past on many occasions and 65% of their work is on light duty diesel trucks, with the other 35% being in heavy duty truck diesel repair. I have been fully satisfied with their work and prices and have never had 1 issue with anything! They have been in business for over 45 years and get great recommendations from dozens and dozens of people and parts suppliers!

I'm just trying to find out if they were taking my buddy for a ride or this was a mistake.. IMHO, it would seem likely that is was a mistake, similar to diagnosing a spark issue on a car with a bad spark plug wire.
Thanks for any insight on this!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What state or province do you live in?
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others. Enter the last two characters of the word "Powerstroke"
Security Question #2
*Required, this field is not shown to others. "While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State the animal mentioned in the sentence above."
Please select your insurance company (Optional)


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:55 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.