Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Loss of power under hard acceleration

15K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  J. Wheeler 
#1 ·
Hey there, I got a 1999, 551000 km's, When under hard acceleration you can feel the truck loose power, and then a clicking-tapping noise starts on the drivers side, it sounds like. Before I did my injectors (yesterday) it would start this and then completely die, injectors were screwed, with the new ones you can just let off and then go again.

About the only thing I haven't replaced on this truck is the HPOP, ICP, and IPR, most of the other sensors I have replaced, MAF, MAT, CPS etc.

Fuel filter is new, fuel pump is new, fuel lines from hpop to heads are new, oil is fresh.

I couldn't find an issue exactly the same as this, but from other things I have read it leads me to HPOP, ICP, or IPR. Is there anyway to narrow this down or anyone have this before? and where is the best place to get ICP and IPR. I don't need another HPOP, as I have another motor I can steal it off if need be.

It will be nice to finally have this thing running flawlessly, finally figured out the starting issue, with shiny new injectors lol

Also what is the best scanner for a 7.3? I'll be searching forums but any help I can get will be appreciated.

See less See more
#3 ·
I have the exact same prob, only when fuel tank is between 3/4 and full, I changed the pick up filter in the tank, it was bad but still didn't help, also new fuel pump and filter.
Under normal city driving conditions no problem, but when I'm on interstate or anywhere else I drive over 60 mph it slowly loses power and eventually stalls, but again only with a full tank. If you figure it out please let me know, and I will do the same

#4 ·
that does sound like a high pressure oil problem, auto enginuity is a good program for your laptop to scan your truck,

#5 ·
Same problem

99 f250 crew cab 2 wheel drive 7.3 140k
Western diesel chip/stainless exhaust.
Aux gas tank.

Light use tow road vehicle that has similar issue described in this thread.
This occurred yesterday on my Xmas eve road trip. Currently broke down in Columbus, Indiana.:(
Anyhoo.. Upon warm engine start up after a pitstop, the engine performance was uncharacterically sluggish. Once upon freeway I could not get speed above 45 mph. The engine exhibited rough idling when restarted , bogged down i
response to acceleration, and then eventually slowing down to stalling and currently unable to start. Normally this truck starts up like a champ!
Now the vehicle cranks fires and sputters when attempting start.
No check engine lights currently or recently . Fuel filter checked clean and found normal wear.This sputter to stall cycle progressed over 10 miles.
Presently the vehicle cranks, fires, and sputters when attempting start.
..It fires & gags but currently will not start and run.
Found a mechanic locally on xmas eve who came out with a reader.
*Codes were 1280 & 1247. Possibly stored from past events?
2 techs have said they believe the codes may not represent the current problem at hand.
CPS replaced by recall last summer tested good yesterday as well.

Fuel in tanks were from previous fills a week or so ago. I had 400 or so miles running the fuel with no problem. No fuel add/top off on trip. In addition..switching fuel tanks did not exacerbate nor relive the condition. Oil is clean and topped always.
Made calls to my A-list diesel heads.. One suggested injector wire harness failure possibility. Will follow up Monday after we troubleshoot further.

#9 ·
J. Wheeler, you are the man. That is exactly what it was, screens in the tank were completely caked with crap. Runs like a champ now.

Maybe it will keep up to my Duramax now (LOL)

anyways, thanks for the help and suggestions. This thread is doneeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.