7.3 Low Oil Pressure - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2010, 07:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 Low Oil Pressure

I have a 2001 f250 with 207500 miles on it. The oil pressure all of a sudden went to zero while idling, according to the instrument panel but if you just touch the gas pedal it goes back up. I changed the oil sending unit, no luck. I have my truck in the shop now (not a dealer) but my gut tells me I should. They are telling me that my oil pressure on the top end is 4 to 5 psi while idling. they also checked the lower end and said it was higher, but I'm not sure how high. They are not sure what the problem is, they say that i have an internal leak. They also checked the ford tech bulletins, there were bulletins out on certain serial groups for plugs on the back of the motor to some oil gallies that were popping out. But not for my serial number. But all the symptoms they describe in the bulletins are the same as mine. My problem is that it's going to cost 900 to 1000 dollars to just check it out, weither it's right or wrong. It requires the transmission and flywheel to be removed. I just want to make sure all avenues are covered before taking the next step. Has anyone had this problem? Does anyone have any suggestions. I wish I knew a powerstroke/ford mechanic. This truck is in good shape, never run hard, pulls a fifth wheel camper about 6 times a year. Any help or suggestions of what to try or check would greatly be appreciated. Thanks for a great web site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2010, 08:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I would think if the plug poped out of the back of the block or head it would be leaking oil all over the place. I am not sure what the top half oil pressure should be at idle but I think staright out of the filter housing it is around 12-15 at idle. How high does it go when you bump the accelerator? If you put a manual gauge in it does it run at the correct pressures at low and high idle? If it does might be the gauge in the dash.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Problem is solved found debris in the pressure regultor in the oil cooler which was holding it open
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.