Listen to this problem...... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2005, 04:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Listen to this problem......

I am new to the ford powerstroke, so take it easy on me. I purchased a used f250 superduty 4x4 automatic, lariat, last June. Excellent truck with 85,000miles on it and no problems. There is alot of aftermarket "stuff" on it. Banks stainless exhaust and muffler, pillar guages, turbo temp monitor, transmission module, banks turbo, and banks superchip that I found in the glove box in it's package. After running the truck for 6 weeks with no problems and the chip not installed, I put the chip in. Vehicle ran fine for 3 weeks or so then the service engine soon light came on. Vehicle still ran fine, would shut off and restart and the SES light would go off. Few days later it would go on. Wait, here is the good part. In the morning, start truck and shut door and truck would shut off. Get back in, start fine, no SES light on, shut door, truck shuts off. So, I pop the hood, looking for God only knows, nothing weird, I guess, close hood, engine shuts off. Too funny. Did this only in morning. Once when leaving house went 1/2 block and truck died. I started noticing when hitting a little bump is when the SES light would come on. Truck only died once when driving. I pulled the chip out after a couple weeks of this, and no problems since. I know it's something to do with the chip. Does a factory sensor need replaced to a more performance sensor? Truck need reprogramed? Any ideas? I know to leave the chip out, but I like the performance horsepower, and the increase in mileage. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2005, 04:44 AM
Gun Nut

Send a message via AIM to Rodslinger
WELCOME FLOOD! Don't worry everyone here is extremely nice and helpful and most of us too are new to the Powerstroke. It sounds like you've got a pretty sweet ride. I'm not going to be much help here - especially since the first thing that came to my mind was just drive with your door open.
Just kidding - I don't have a superchip but I'm sure someone here will chime in soon who has either had this problem or might have some ideas.
Hope you enjoy the site!
Old 10-01-2005, 06:23 AM
Vinyl Sticker Guy

Exclamation

Is it the Banks Six Gun? Like this product here? http://www.bankspower.com/System.cfm...F01&sysid=SF37If not, find the product on there that you have. Is it something that you had to plug into your PCM? Or a programmer? Or something that goes in under the hood?

Welcome to Powerstroke.org!
Old 10-01-2005, 12:20 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Sounds like a poor connection, if you have a module I would try moving the harnesses around one at a time with the engine running and narrow it down. Inspect the connectors for bent or unclean pins. Once you find the harnes you might be able to repair or order a new one. If you have a chip, clean the connectors and see if that helps at all. Sounds like you might have a tough one to locate. There was a thread here somewhere else and someone had a similar problem with a stock truck and it ended up being a connection. I don't remember which one but it sounds like your "Superchip" is the cause in this case. Good Luck and let us know what you find.
Old 10-01-2005, 08:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

From what you stated about the stalling bit, Im guessing that you are using a
piggy back style chip. Not to insult anyone's inteligence, thats the one that plugs into the back of the ford pcm. If that is what you are using, disconnect the 10 mm connector bolt located in the engine compartment at the pcm connector( where it goes through the bulk head on the lower left side of the engine compartment, below the master cyl) then remove the pcm, the e-brake pedal/brackets can get in the way. Take out the pcm and inspect the flat part of the printed circuit board where the chip slides on(there should be a little black plug or just an opening where the black plug was) If that connection is not clean of the coating that ford puts on there you will have a poor connection and result in the problems that you are having.
Old 10-02-2005, 12:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the ideas. I did not state the year of my vehicle, 2000. I have looked at the Banks website, and really an not sure what "set up" I have. I have a Big Hoss turbo on the truck but I will keep looking and contact Banks cause I am curious. I am thinking it is a connection as well and will check. I put the "chip" or "mod" back in and no problems for 2 days. It plugs in next to the brake pedal. Thanks again and please keep posting ideas and if need more info, let me know.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Not sure if you have this resolved yet but if this chip is installed on the PCM itself you have to really work to get the contacts clean. The PCM board is dipped and sealed in silicone. Make sure you have all the silicone removed and the connector are clean and shinny. To actually get the contacts completely cleaned you have to disassemble the unit and remove the circuit board. You can try cleaning the board with a soft cloth coated with some brake cleaner, carb cleaner, alcohol or lacquer thinner. Once the silicone is removed make sure to clean the connector with a small piece of scotch brite pad. DO NOT crack or break the connector while removing the lacquer coating on the contacts. Be careful not to remove the contact trace while cleaning. Also NEVER spray anything on the PCM board. Once the contacts are clean whip again with the soft rag and you should be ready to reassemble the unit.

If you are not comfortable with doing things like this I wouldn't recommend you do it.

Poorly cleaned contacts are the number one reason for chip performance failure. The loss of contact with any of the contact points can cause unusual issues. Shutting the door could cause loss of contact from vibration. This can also lead to bigger issues. I wouldn't run the chip until you make sure your PCM connector is completely clean.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to 99Smokin73Stroker Send a message via Yahoo to 99Smokin73Stroker
poor connections suck

The poor connection theory sounds pretty good. When I was looking on TS's website thinkin about their chip they warned that if you didn't get the connections perfectly clean that you could see the ses light. I decided to road trip to TS and have them do the work for me since I'm not the most paitent guy with stuff like that!
Old 10-06-2005, 05:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

WOW!! Thanks for the help. Will get to it in the next few weekends. Thanks again and will keep you posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.