IDM installed, SES still on....what now - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2010, 02:44 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to Okiefromwatonga
IDM installed, SES still on....what now

Ok, so I got my new IDM, checked both are IDM-120's. installed it truck fired right up just like normal. Now instead of my check engine light playing peek-a-boo with me its on all the time. did I louse something up in the install? What gives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2010, 03:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

What codes are being thrown? What made you think the IDM was bad in the first place? What other symptoms are you seeing?
Old 12-20-2010, 03:11 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effreem View Post
What codes are being thrown? What made you think the IDM was bad in the first place? What other symptoms are you seeing?
Ok, so just on a hunch I went to a different dealer to get a second opinion on my truck and its "problems". First dealership charged me 89.95 and an hour later tells me that Diesel EEC Diag and CYL 3 7 both low on compression and circut failures on cyl 4 2, best repair is replacng engine long block assy. had this done in march as even in march shewas a bear to start in the morning if you didnt plug in the block heater. So after some thinking oand discussing with my brother in law (30+ year high performance gasser mechanic) and both decide that the engine runs too well when warm to be low compression on 2 cyl. So I take it to a differnet dealer and they say 35 bucks and 30 min to diagnose same thing. What i got this time is Engine is good so are injectors, IDM is whats "bad". They give me codes P0237 Turbo boost sens a circut low P1316IDM, P1271 Cyl1 P1272 CYL 2, P1274 Cyl3. Tech talked with me for abuot 15 min and said that it idles fine and runs out good, so the motor and injectors are most likely ok, and that replacing the IDM would in all likelyhood fix the problem. They also gave me a print out of all of the warranty claims on this truck and it has had 3 IDMs and 2 injectors. First in MAR05, SEP 06 an JAN 07 also had Inj's 2 and 5 replaced in SEP of 06, what gives?
Old 12-23-2010, 02:21 PM
Serving Our Country!

Update. Installed a new IDM SES light went from coming on every onece in a while to being on all the time except for a second or two when you first let off the throttle. Went to O'Reilly's and used their code scanner (Local ford dealer all of a sudden jumped to $65 for a quick scan, fuel prices must have got them too). It was a Innova 3120LaT did a advanced scan KOEO and got 3 codes, P0500 Speed Sensor, P1316 IDM Codes Present and P0720 Output shaft speed, what now?
Old 01-08-2011, 05:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I have a truck that does this same thing and it's been the same for 50,000 miles. I have 3 IDM's on my shelf that i have swapped with no change. I have ohmed out all the circuit from the idm to the pcm and from the idm to the injectors with no problems found. I have found those codes on other trucks but it's always been an under valve cover harness problem. This is something i have yet to figure out. It may haunt me forever. This particular truck has 545,000 on it and runs pretty decent. I have an 01 with 610,000 and have never had this problem. Really sucks....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.