Front main seal oil leak and replacemnt - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2010, 08:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Front main seal oil leak and replacemnt

When I searched here other day I couldn't find anything on front seal replacement . I opreated a shop till five years ago and never had replaced a
front seal on 7.3 and was worried about the difficulty .
Well it's about as easy as replacing the water pump and requires only a couple more tools. I would post pictures but didn't take none .
To start with my 7.3 is a 99 model with 395,000 on it and several thousand idle hours , I run a hotshot with it .
A couple days ago I awoke to a puddle of oil under my truck after looking I surmised the front seal was shot .
I called my local ford dealer and got the seal kit which includes the seal and a wear sleeve for the vibration damper , you will also want to get the oil pump O-ring . Total cost around 30 dollars .
I started by unbolting and moving to the side the coolant tank I had to remove the small top hose on it to aid in the reloacation of tank . I then
loosened the fan hub nut ( I use a big punch and hammer ) They make a special wrench for it . I then remove top radiator hose and stick rag in top neck and reposition hose . I then remove shroud top two bolts and remove fan and shroud .
Now you will remove the crakshaft bolt , I used a deep 15/16th socket and really long pull hande . I positioned a L foot bar in opening of damper and bar tip against right frame rail this keeps pulley from turning while loosening bolt .
Now you will use a standard four slot puller for pulling the damper . (mine came off real easy) You will also need to remove the serpetine belt before completely removing damper . The round protrusion on the front of crankshat is the low pressure oil pump . You will take out the 4 bolts holding it on and gently work at edge to get pump to come off . it's held in place
by two small locating pins once these pins break loose the cover will slide off .
You can now slide the oil pump gears off it you want to inpsect them . Just make sure to put them back on facing right direction . The word damper will be stamped on both pieces or a prick mark make sure these face foward .
Now to replace the seal just tap old one out from rear with screwdriver and aplly sealer to edge of new one and tape in till fully seated . remove pump housing o-ring and install new one . Next lay damper on block of wood and get a small chisel or other tool under edge and pry old sleeve off damper .
clean and inspect damper sleeve area put a light amount of seal or locktite on inside of sleeve position with beveled edge facing up and gently tap on
with great care ( I used a giant socket and brass drift ) once fully installed you are ready to reassemble the truck . first put oil pump gears on shaft with makings facing out , next locate pins and start housing on and install bolts and torque to 15ft pds. ( snug with 3/8 ratchet) . Now position damper
on shaft and tap a little with hammer the washer and bolt should start easily and tighten down with ease . After that position the L foot bar oppisite and tighten down crankshaft bolt to 212 ft pds (I use good pull with long pull handle) now reinstall belt shroud and and fan . Teat run and check for leaks
total time about 2-1/2 hours . You can use a air wrench on crank bolt I just didn't want to remove radiator and there are special tools Ford states you need but who has them ? I posted this so the average reader will know they more than likely can do this in a weekend . I worked this also in manner to use the least amount of time and tools as everyone is limited in both nowdays .
R
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2010, 09:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Nice write-up ! You make it sound so simple....2.5h ? Damn, it took me about 6 to swap out the WP
Old 03-14-2012, 04:57 PM
the baconator

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
thanks for this very helpful just did mine. i will say that i stuck a crowbar through my wedge it against the shop floor put the truck in gear (5 speed) and crank it over by hand worked great
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.