Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

turbo whine?????

8K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  jhwatterson 
#1 ·
hi in a new member and i have an 02 powerstroke.im beginning to hear a whine from what seems to be the turbo area under the hood when i get it pulling around 2500+ rpms.it dosent pour out the black smoke it did and seems to be loosing power as the whine gets louder.could this be my turbo going out?
i have a diablo sport tuner on it and it does it on all settings and it sounds mecanical to me.my fuel milage is getting worse also. any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
is it a grinding or just sound like its spinning too hard? you may have a boost leak check your uppipes and IC boots for leaks.

#4 ·
I think I am having this same thing going on. The best way I can explain the noise is that it kind of sounds like engine noise in your speakers (but coming from under the hood). Mine is all the time when under boost. Very poor fuel mileage and power espeacialy when towing. I am trying to get my problem fixed right now. any help would be apreciated. when I hear to check the up pipes for leaks, are these the pipes from the engine(exhaust man) to the turbo? If so how do I check for leaks.

#6 ·
You will clearly see soot on the pipes coming down from the collector. Also, take a look at the exhaust housing bolts on your turbo, there is a TSB for them falling out :doh:

#7 ·
TSB? Whats that? Im having this problem too. It dosent appear to be an intercooler leak because all the boots seem good but as soon as i hit 5 lbs of boost its whining and howling and whistling

#8 ·
TSB = Technical Service Bulletin. Its a document released from the manufacturer to inform technicians of common problems and their solution. In this case, there is a torque to distort bolt kit used to keep the bolts in the turbo exhaust housing from falling out.

#9 ·
Ok ill be checking the turbo bolts tonite. Thought it could maybe be the wastegate also because i pulled that vacume hose off and gave it like 25'' lbs and the rod didnt move. Im wondering if its stuck? Left the vacume hose off of the wastegate and tried and the noise continued.

#10 ·
Gents i am haveing a funny noise come from under the hood. Sounds like to me the turbo wheel is like stuck it loses power and hisses then if you let up and push the gas again or you stomp in it it acts like it jumps and then regains power and black smoke rolls i dont have any idea whats up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.