Chugging, Black Smoke, No Power, High EGTS, Eventual Stallling Codes 1316, 0470, 1210 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2010, 10:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Chugging, Black Smoke, No Power, High EGTS, Eventual Stallling Codes 1316, 0470, 1210

This has been going on since I bought the truck in late Oct. When I was test driving it, I did a run at WOT and it threw a CEL, which I assumed was an overboost code at the time. CEL went away after a couple minutes of driving.

I've noticed when pulling heavy loads that there seems to be a lack of power and it seems to puff black smoke. This isn't a constant stream of smoke, more like individual puffs as it goes down the highway.

This seems to be getting worse as time progresses, now its to the point where it will chug along with no power and the other day it stalled on me and wouldn't start back up. Sometimes it will throw a CEL and seem to go into limp mode when it chugs, other times it will not. The CEL is much more frequent when hooked up to a trailer, but if I get on it enough, it will come on unloaded.

I just got Auto Enginuity today and I'm getting codes 1316, 0470, 1210, and 1211. This truck does have some type of chip or tuner on it, though I'm not sure which one.

ICP is new.

I tried cranking it today and recording IPR duty cycle and ICP pressure. With KOEO, IPR DC was 14%. When cranking, it dropped to 0, then after cranking it went back to 14. I didn't start it, just cranked a couple times. HP Pressure went up to 2500, then 1600, then 1100 while cranking.

I've noticed some new oil leaks under the truck now that its cold, but the HP oil pressures seem to be fine based on what I've read and I don't have any oil loss when checking the oil, which was changed ~1000 miles ago with rotella 15-40.

The batteries were a bit low, so I've got a charger on it now and will do a buzz test before digging much further, what based on this info, what would you guys recommend looking into, or replacing to get this fixed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2010, 11:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

A bit more info:

I just did a buzz test. All of the injectors sound very similar, however injector 1 usually only raises the tach to 600 rpm and occasionally inj. 4 and 6 will do the same thing. The rest raise the tach to 800 rpm. Would this indicate a problem?

On a different note, after doing the buzz tests, I cranked it for 10 seconds or so, the IPR DC was ~34% and the HP oil pressure was ~2600. Do these numbers sound right? Should I be looking more closely at injectors/wiring instead of the IPR/HPOP system?
Old 01-20-2011, 05:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

high egt's at low rpm's with no load = lean conditions most of the time. Start with basic like fuel filter, fuel pump, fuel lines to make sure you dont have trapped air.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.