7.3 low power bad mileage - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2010, 10:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 low power bad mileage

low on power and bad mileage, really noticeable when towing. I have only owned this pickup a month. It does not smoke at all. I used to have a 6.0 and the turbo had a distinct whistle and it had twice the power of this 7.3 the sound of this turbo when boosting is more like a whine whoosh noise, so far I can not find a leak in the intercooler system. My old truck would have a little bit of black smoke when leaving a stop light but not on this one. If anyone has any suggestions I would be happy for input..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2010, 03:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Hard to say with what we're given but a 7.3 feels a lot slower than a 6.0, that's no doubt. How bad is the mileage? Is the truck stock? My stock 7.3 felt way slow when I bought it too, my superchips woke it up a bit, as well as the improved exhaust and intake. I bought it to be a family hauler and sees little towing so my experience is all 'unloaded' - I have never towed stock so I don't know what that is like. I bet it it isn't the 'cant even feel her back there'
type of experience you would hope it is.

Scott
Old 12-16-2010, 03:39 PM

No thoughts?
Old 12-16-2010, 03:45 PM

Send a message via MSN to dusted4eva
My 7.3 when it was stock got with stock tires was getting around 12 mpg MT. Now with bigger tires exhaust and intake I'm getting aroud 15 Mt . When I'm pulling around 9000lbs it gets around 11-12 mpg. I have a chip on the way, I'm sure that well help it out. The 6.0 is great engine for pulling and mpg.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks for the feed back. I think a little of my problem is that i did not realize the 6.0 is so much better (I loved it). I had a problem with my chip and sent it in to get fixed, just got it back so i will try it and check my boost pressure. Does anyone know what boost pressure should be with an edge juice set up?
Old 12-22-2010, 09:06 AM
scuffs *****

Send a message via AIM to Tyler
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleslie278 View Post
thanks for the feed back. I think a little of my problem is that i did not realize the 6.0 is so much better (I loved it). I had a problem with my chip and sent it in to get fixed, just got it back so i will try it and check my boost pressure. Does anyone know what boost pressure should be with an edge juice set up?
around 12-15PSI
Old 12-23-2010, 08:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I am getting about 15 psi boost acording to my digital gauge. I am getting very low egt reading around 100 degrees sometimes getting up to 600 but not very often. Put new probe and sent gauge in to get checked and nothing was wrong.....
Old 12-26-2010, 11:49 PM
scuffs *****

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleslie278 View Post
I am getting about 15 psi boost acording to my digital gauge. I am getting very low egt reading around 100 degrees sometimes getting up to 600 but not very often. Put new probe and sent gauge in to get checked and nothing was wrong.....
What are you getting at idle, cruise, and WOT?
Old 12-26-2010, 11:59 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
egt's should be at 400-600 cruising and at least 800-1000 WOT. that sounds odd.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:19 AM
scuffs *****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dietoremain View Post
egt's should be at 400-600 cruising and at least 800-1000 WOT. that sounds odd.
It will depend on where the EGT probe is mounted. If your probe is mounted "pre-turbo" (exhaust before reaching the turbo charger) you should see temps around 250-325 at idle. At a cruising speed, you should see 600-800. And at wide open throttle, you should see 800-1,000 with no tuner, with a tuner or chip you should see the same temps as mentioned above but your wide open throttle temps should be around 1,000-1,200.

If you probe is "post turbo" (Set in after the turbo charger, for say in the downpipe) Then you'll see like a 130 degree idle temp, and a 300 or less cruising temp, and a 600 or so wide open throttle temp without a chip or tuner. With a tuner you will see around 700.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.