03 7.3 Codes P128, P0381 P1211, P0301 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2010, 08:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
03 7.3 Codes P128, P0381 P1211, P0301

Hmm.. where to start. OK, well I have had my CEL light on for quite awhile..like a long time. seemed to run OK until a few months ago when it it seemed to run a bit rough in the <2000 rpm range.. like an cylinder miss. Now.. I have moved to a location in Kalifornia that requires smog on diesels.. no more putting it off. My tags are expired and cant get em without fixing it first. It wont pass smog with a CEL. I dont use this truck much.. sometimes sits for a couple weeks at a time, so that is my excuse for not fixing it earlier that and I didnt have to smog it before (wut is up with that smog crap anyway?) I cleared the codes a month ago.. and I reprogrammed my edge chip out back to stock, I had it programmed on the lowest 'tow' for the last few years. Anyway, so I got all these codes coming up still. I cleared them tonight... tomorrow I will drive it into town and check the codes again. I am not totally inept at working on these things.. I just finished replacing my ball joints myself ( I have some good suggestions on that subject if anyone is needy obviously I am zeroing in on the P0301 since I can feel it running rough.. but what could it be? the truck is totally stock, cept for the edge I have been running.. but like I say, I have reprogrammed to stock. Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions on where to start, I would appreciate it. I tend to be a do it yourselfer rather than throw in the towel early and send to Thanks and its going to be great not to have to worry about a bear pulling me over for those damn expired tags... GMan

P1280- Inj contrl press circute out of range- low
p0381- Glow plug indicator circute malfunction
p1211- inj contrl pressure above/below desired
p0301- fault cylinder misfire detected- cyl 1

Last edited by iamgman; 12-07-2010 at 08:28 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2010, 04:57 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I would fix the P1280/P1211 first. That is more than likely your ICP sensor. Unplug it and see if it helps any. The P0301 could be caused by that since the ICP controls injection. P0381 for the glow plug would probably just cause hard starts. I'd start with replacing the ICP sensor though. Check the connector on it also. They are known to have corrosion/damage problems.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks firefighter. Will try that. Checked my codes after clear then about 30 miles of driving. Have the 1280 and 301 codes popping up. I will report back. thanks again...
Old 12-15-2010, 02:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I unplugged the ICP with no change in how well it idled or rev'd up. Wires look good. The harness that lays over the driver side valve cover was rubbing to the point that the paint is worn off, but I dont see where any wires have worn through. Idle is not 'that' bad. When rev'd up to lower to mid rpm's, it run rough a mite as previously mentioned. The code P1280 and P0301 keeps coming back. After clearing codes, the 1280 code will come up as soon as you turn key to 'on' position without even starting the engine. BTW, I am reading the codes with my edge programmer in diagnostic mode. Any ideas are appreciated.. I been doing research on the forums, just not sure what to do
Old 12-15-2010, 03:17 PM
Chapter Director

ive got the same issue. P1280 and P1211

it idles a little rough and has a bad miss at 1200-1500rpms then goes away.

i replaced the sensor think that would fix it but it didnt also no issues with the wiring that i could see. so now what else could cause these codes?
Old 12-15-2010, 06:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

well if the sensor doesnt fix it, I would start suspecting the programmer. I work at a Ford dealer and we've seen chips/programmers do some crazy stuff. Whenever we hook up our scan tools, it will display all 0's on the programmer screen and make the truck die while idling. Technically its supposed void your warranty but we usually dont care about it. But we DO tell people if we have to reflash a module, we wont do it with the modification on bc somehow, it always makes it worse. try unplugging the programmer and see if it helps. If not, I would try the ICP sensor anyways. Yours may actually fix it.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:07 PM
Chapter Director

it does this without the chip as well i know how check the stuff i did with the chip and without same symptoms same codes so its not the chip causing issues. possibly a clogged fuel filter and needing oil changed. i will do that and see if it resolves the issue.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:17 PM
ARMY MOM!!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to korg70kbc
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgman View Post
Thanks firefighter. Will try that. Checked my codes after clear then about 30 miles of driving. Have the 1280 and 301 codes popping up. I will report back. thanks again...
& California.......
Old 12-17-2010, 06:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My problem solved. Smogged and new tags on the truck. Damage was $577 at the dealership. Cause- ICP sensor part no. F6TZ 9F838 A. That of course is the sensor on the driver inboard head up front. Just what most of you said. A $65 part on ebay. I didnt have time to mess with it. Needed to take on a trip through the biggest snow storm this year starting sunday. $250 of that was diagnosis. $90 was the smog check (!!!!), and the part was $193. Oh well, my truck has power now and tags. Good to go. Thanks for the help guys. Always appreciated. BTW, my sensor was bone dry. Not wet and not cracked. That also solved my Cyl #1 miss P0301. No more rough running. Now I just have to solve my leaking fuel problem. They said it was not the O ring issue, but rather a leak in the water/fuel separator. $443 for that. I dont think so so I didnt have that fixed. Anyway, Rock n roll time. IAmGMan

Last edited by iamgman; 12-17-2010 at 06:25 PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Problem came back this summer... so it worked for a few months is all. Running rough under 2,000 rpm. Snow season around the corner and sick of the ****ty fuel mileage. Going to replace the icp sensor and see what that does... uggghh...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.