Head Gasket? Losing Coolant.. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 11-30-2010, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Once you go black......

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via MSN to CanadianDiesel
Thumbs down Head Gasket? Losing Coolant..

Hey guys I'm thinking my head gaskets are done. I'm losing coolant after I fill it to max line.
When I change the oil there's also some in there...

A little history...when I bought my truck it seemed quick, but didnt know much about diesels..
Turns out for around a year I did have some sort of tune on it, but no gauges. I'm thinking it may have been pused a little too hard by a (back then) inexperienced driver...me lol.
The dealer flashed the computer last summer and I noticed a power loss (back to stock)

Do you guys think it's the head gaskets? Are they decent to change on a 7.3?

Then & Now

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Matt
'99 F-350 4x4 7.3L
6637, 4", chip; far too many upgrades to list.
Coming soon: Rigid Industries Lighting, Nav, On-Board Air.
Latest mods: Line-X, '08 Black Leather Captain Seats (Lariat), Trans, EGT and Turbo Gauges; TS chip, Chrome Delete.

02 VW Jetta TDI - 40mpg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-30-2010, 08:21 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
first stop driving it before something really gets worse... are you getting any white smoke out the exhaust? how much extra are you getting when you drain the oil?
post #3 of 5 Old 11-30-2010, 08:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

7.3 head gaskets are famously strong. But they can and do go, of course.

Search around on oil cooler failure, that's a possibility. Also cavitation, but let's hope that ain't it.

Good luck!

02 F350 Lariat 4X4 CCSB SRW 4R100 w/FTVB.Mishimoto 6.0 IC.26 row 6.0 trans cooler.6637.WW.RiffRaff FrxGen2/Plenum inserts/AIH delete/boots.Hutch.Harpoon.50 cent.Isspro EVs.Walker BTM.DP Tuner.AC mod.Mile Marker 449ss.Fumoto.DDM HID 55w 4500k.Bilsteins.Dieselsite Coolant Filter.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. - HL Mencken
post #4 of 5 Old 12-02-2010, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
Once you go black......

Send a message via MSN to CanadianDiesel
There's never any white smoke, that's mainly why I never thought it was HGs, i guess. I'm on holidays right now but I'm thinking of tearing the engine apart when I get home. Its not being driven right now anyways.
Is it a huge deal to replace them?

Then & Now

Matt
'99 F-350 4x4 7.3L
6637, 4", chip; far too many upgrades to list.
Coming soon: Rigid Industries Lighting, Nav, On-Board Air.
Latest mods: Line-X, '08 Black Leather Captain Seats (Lariat), Trans, EGT and Turbo Gauges; TS chip, Chrome Delete.

02 VW Jetta TDI - 40mpg
post #5 of 5 Old 12-02-2010, 01:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Furthest I've gone in is to remove the valve covers to do the 50 cent mod. As I recall the remainder looked pretty standard V8 as far as getting the heads off.

But that's a he11 of a lot of work wasted if that is not the problem. I'd research pretty deep all the symptoms and get a solid diagnosis before tearing it down. My 2 cents.

02 F350 Lariat 4X4 CCSB SRW 4R100 w/FTVB.Mishimoto 6.0 IC.26 row 6.0 trans cooler.6637.WW.RiffRaff FrxGen2/Plenum inserts/AIH delete/boots.Hutch.Harpoon.50 cent.Isspro EVs.Walker BTM.DP Tuner.AC mod.Mile Marker 449ss.Fumoto.DDM HID 55w 4500k.Bilsteins.Dieselsite Coolant Filter.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. - HL Mencken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
head gasket 7.3 coolant

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode