Running on 4, problem solved. UVC injector harness. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2010, 11:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Running on 4, problem solved. UVC injector harness.

Last year, I took my truck in to a shop because at the time, I didn't have time to dig into it. Without the paperwork in front of me, I can't give you the codes but the shop said it had IDM faults, and injector faults. They charged me $700 for labor, and I gave them a auto computer exchange IDM because they said that was the part that was bad. It ran fine for about 8 months. A few weeks ago, same exact symptoms. I didn't have a code reader (loaned to who know's who...) so I decided to replace the under valve cover injector harness after a little bit of troubleshooting. There is a tech bulletin if you google powerstroke injector harness, very, very good info on how to troubleshoot.

Check out the pic, I love it when you find a smoking gun!!! If you can't see the pic, it's in my albums under "UVC injector harness"

Anyway, thanks to this site, I found the problem on my own and fixed it for $75 instead of another grand! I haven't put in the passenger side uvc harness, but will keep it on hand, maybe next summer.

Also don't forget to check the wires underneath the 42 pin connector. My engine always had a slight miss, one of the wires underneath the connector was chafing on the drivers side valve cover.

Last edited by Captain Starbucks; 11-29-2010 at 11:46 PM. Reason: pic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2011, 05:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

2001 f250

Good Morning, I have a 2001 f250 with the 7.3. A couple of years back it began running horrible. I took it to my mechanic who repaired the injector harness on one side. The truck is running bad again, same thing. I imagine the other side has gone bad now. I no longer live any where close to this mechanic, but I did call him to ask which side he repaired. He couldnt remember. Anyway, instead of paying out 5 to 600 bucks to someone I thought about doing the repair myself. I understand the vc has to come off. Not knowing which side was repaired before, is there a way to tell which side is bad? Is there a websight that I can go to and get directions or pictures of how to do this. Once I get the vc off, how will I know that im looking at a damaged harness? Sorry about all the questions, but if Im going to tackle this job I dont want to get the vc off, get discouraged then have to have it towed to a mechanic. Thanks for any help you could give me. My email is stevecook1316@gmail.com..
Old 04-14-2011, 01:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I can't tell you how obvious it is when you're on top of the engine and 4 cylinders (all on the same side) aren't working. If you can't figure it out, take a crayon after the engine's warmed up and wipe it across the exhaust manifold. It will melt on the good side and not on the bad side. Also, if you have an EGT gage and you know what side that's on, it will also tell you.

grab hold of the harnesses with the engine running right where they plug into the valve covers and wiggle them around individually. Usually that bank will come on a split second later.

Post back your findings.
Old 04-14-2011, 01:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the info. I will let you know what I find out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.