13 mpg... should i be getting more?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2010, 01:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
13 mpg... should i be getting more??

i have a 2000 f350 crew cab long bed that is stock except for k&n replacement filter and 4 inch dual turbo back exhaust. when i bought the truck it came with a super chip, im not sure what kind but its on there. i also put an edge chip on the economy mode on top of the super chip and im only getting 13 mpg. i believe i should be getting a little more. a friend reccommended taking both chips off and flashing the computer and running it as stock to see if that is the issue. does that make sense or is 13 mpg about right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2010, 01:44 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
13mpg seems pretty low. You should be getting quite a bit more especially with an economy mode. I recommend taking both off and running stock and hand calculating it then let's see how it does.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:50 PM
Premium Member

^ I agree.What rear end do you have? The 33'' tires may set you back a little as well as the wheels compared to the stock tire/wheel set up. I have a 3.73 rear end, stock tires, an intake, 4" turbo back, and currently have my chip off (getting it reflashed) and I get between 17.8-18.2 consistently hand calculated.

I never get above 70 mph and that seems to be where I keep my mpg up.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:52 PM
Premium Member

I would also consider getting rid of the K&N filter as they are horrible for a turbocharged motor.

With your set up, I don't see why you couldn't easily get 16mpg if not more...
Old 11-29-2010, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator

You're getting 13 mpg....in what situation? All city, all highway, blend? Towing, empty?

My '01 (see my sig) gets around 13 if I'm only doing city. Out on the highway, I get about 17-18 running at 70. I've gotten as high as 19 running @ 60.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:23 PM
Oilfield Trash

I cant get above 13/14 for my blend. and it sucks azz. Ive tried many different methods to bump it up and all has failed.

Now straigh hwy with cruise I can get 16 tops. but thats still lower than what others get. And thats with stock, econo, daily, extreme, tunes.

I basically gave up

The next step would be a CR swap or just get a dodge alltogether.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:35 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrod B View Post
I cant get above 13/14 for my blend. and it sucks azz. Ive tried many different methods to bump it up and all has failed.

Now straigh hwy with cruise I can get 16 tops. but thats still lower than what others get. And thats with stock, econo, daily, extreme, tunes.

I basically gave up

The next step would be a CR swap or just get a dodge alltogether.
That sucks man, my old boss had pretty much the same truck as you with just a superchip and he got 18 combined.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:39 PM

im talkin mostly city but quite a bit of highway too, my overhead console computer flips back and forth from 12.9 to 13. i havent seen it above that before. im gonna take that k&n off and put stock air filter and take the chips off and flash it and see where that takes me. thanks
Old 11-29-2010, 03:46 PM
Premium Member

Good plan! Those lie-o-meters are very rarely accurate. The best way is to fill up till you can't put any more diesel in (set your trip), drive till you get a 1/4 tank or fuel light comes on (just near the end of the tank works), then top it off and you will be dead on as far was your mpg. You may know this, and I'm not trying to be a smarta$$, I'm just saying it in case you didn't know. A lot of people call "filling up" when they hear click....which is a big misconception. I could used to fit another 4-5 gallons when I heard the first click until I did the Harpoon mod, now it's about a half gallon after the first click. Hope your mileage jumps up! Good luck!
Old 11-29-2010, 03:59 PM

"filling" up all the way as you put it basically means youre filling up the filler neck of your tank which doesnt measure on the fuel guage so it doesnt really matter if you that or not for calculating mileage and its actually a little more accurate to stop when it clicks. did you recalibrate for the 33" tires?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.