No power when cold - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2010, 11:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No power when cold

I have a 2000 Ford F-250 with the 7.3 Power Stroke Diesel with 218,000 miles on it. The truck has always been a little gutless for a few minutes after a cold start, and I understand that this is normal, but lately you HAVE to let the truck warm up at idle for probably 10 to 15 minutes before driving or it does not possess enough power to even move itself. It also idles just a little rough when cold. Once it warms up, everything is fine. I have not noticed any smoke. I do not live in a cold climate and the lowest temps we ever see are around 32 early in the A.M. every once in a while. Normal morning temps are in the 40's in winter. In reading some posts on other forums, it seems like it could be related to the exhaust bypass valve, although my symptoms do not match exactly. Any ideas before I dive in and start trying things?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2010, 09:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I was having a problem with mine that when I fired it up on the cold days and went to drive off with it, I would hear a hissing noise and it would have loss of power until I got it to downshift, but once the rpms caught back up, it would upshift again and then I would have the hissing sound and loss of power until the engine fully warmed up which would take about 6 miles. I was only having this issue with my truck during the cold months and if temps were above about 55F, I wouldn't have these issues.
I was told it was my exhaust backpressure sensor and I finally got one to fix the problem only to find out that the tubing running from my exhaust backpressure sensor to the right exhaust manifold was missing about a 4" section of tubing. I spliced in a new piece of tubing and it cured my problems.

Not sure if ths will help, but it might be your issue if it is only happening in cold weather.

Also, I have had issues with my truck that if I don't let it warm up for a few, I will have where sometimes it won't move and at times it will even start to flash a code on the shift lever. I then shut it off and restart it and it clears the code. When I have had my active codes checked, they have all gone back to my exhaust backpressure sensor.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Not trying to hijack the thread but my 99 does the same thing. I replaced the EBP sensor and tube last night and it still did it this morning. SES light comes on if I floor it and is code P0470 Exhaust Back Pressure Sensor fault. Any other ideas. It runs great after about 5 miles of driving.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.