OK guys i am back with majer 7.3 problems - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2010, 07:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question OK guys i am back with majer 7.3 problems

2001 7.3,programmer and after market turbo.
have not had time to look in to it yes i am self employed and can not shut it down yet.

any way it smokes like a train in the morning or any time i let it cool down some.and has a miss. but can drive it with no problem, but as it gets to max temp it quits smoking and missing and just carry's it normal haze. i have 153,000 miles on her. with a programmer at 75 hp setting. any way i did take the oil fill cap off today and have back presser coming out of the crank. steady normal flow then a small puff consistent like a piston stroke. which makes me lean toward a hole in the piston. but like i said when it gets wormed up it runs fine. so i am stumped and hope it is something not so bad. what do you guys think? and if i do need to do a total rebuild where would be the best place to look. i will beef it up if i need to rebuild it.would no more when i get time to do a compression test on it. just needing some thoughts to look at when i get under the hood. and the smoking is just like the glow plugs are not working on a cold morning but it dose fire right up. so i guess Mary Christmas to me. like i need this now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2010, 07:43 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstroke View Post
2001 7.3,programmer and after market turbo.
have not had time to look in to it yes i am self employed and can not shut it down yet.

any way it smokes like a train in the morning or any time i let it cool down some.and has a miss. but can drive it with no problem, but as it gets to max temp it quits smoking and missing and just carry's it normal haze. i have 153,000 miles on her. with a programmer at 75 hp setting. any way i did take the oil fill cap off today and have back presser coming out of the crank. steady normal flow then a small puff consistent like a piston stroke. which makes me lean toward a hole in the piston. but like i said when it gets wormed up it runs fine. so i am stumped and hope it is something not so bad. what do you guys think? and if i do need to do a total rebuild where would be the best place to look. i will beef it up if i need to rebuild it.would no more when i get time to do a compression test on it. just needing some thoughts to look at when i get under the hood. and the smoking is just like the glow plugs are not working on a cold morning but it dose fire right up. so i guess Mary Christmas to me. like i need this now.
Sounds like glow plugs or glow plug relay . I don't think you have a major problem . That being said , do a compression test , that will tell you allot .
Old 11-22-2010, 08:06 PM

just wanted to add the motor has been taken good car of ran the best oils and so forth. but i do run the dog **** out of it pulling a 10,000 pound tool trailer. by all means i do not baby it owed it for 5 years and had 80,000 when i bought it.the motor is a nov 2000 block
Old 11-22-2010, 08:11 PM

had those problems before. and it starts to good to be that again been 3 or 4 years sense i put a relay in it. but it is the blow by i am worried about dose not feel right coming out of the filler tube. steady with a stroke of faster air but will not blow cap off when turned up side down and sat back on tube. will bounce it just a little.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:14 PM

and nice to meet you bad night. i am a old buckeye my self growed up in a town off I75 called wapakoneta. lived here in vegas for the past 6 years
Old 11-22-2010, 08:14 PM

Mine puffs like that. Steady but more with a certain cylinder. Just one is more worn out.
As for cold starting: Winter Operation, Hard Starting, Hissing Sound Etc...
Troubleshooting GPR & GP's
Yea one injector might be starting to stick cold. Fuel filter good? Oil good? That's not too bad.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:30 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstroke View Post
had those problems before. and it starts to good to be that again been 3 or 4 years sense i put a relay in it. but it is the blow by i am worried about dose not feel right coming out of the filler tube. steady with a stroke of faster air but will not blow cap off when turned up side down and sat back on tube. will bounce it just a little.
Seems normal to me . The bottom end will always build pressure and push it out the path of least resistance . I would still check the gpr and ohm the gp's . If they test ok I would then do a compression test if you really think it has a dead hole . I had a 2000 and with only 2 bad gp's it would smoke like a freight train . It would kinda idle rough and clean up once it warmed up . I replaced the g.p.'s and it was like a new truck . You know how it is though , anything is possible .
Old 11-22-2010, 08:46 PM

i know i am over due for a new fule filter. about the glow plug thing i took it to the shop 3 years ago or so. would not start cold. if it did took for ever and i was new to the truck but ran the company 7.3s back in ohio so i know how they should start just never worked on them. the guys out here at the shop told me nothing was wrong with it and just to plug it in. i thought wtf is wrong with them and told them they start up just fine back in Ohio at 10 below with out being plugged in. we never plugged them in back home. if it did not start we did not need to work out there any way. but for some reason i always frozen my *** off. took it home and found out it was just a relay. and would never tell any one to take there trucks to those idiots.

well if it turns out to not be much of a problem then looks like the kids will get a good Christmas.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:54 PM

looks like the org just saved christmas glad to hear it might be a small issue!
Old 11-22-2010, 09:06 PM

we will find out Monday after thanksgiving when i tare in to for a day and see what i come up with. hoping for some good luck for a change.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.