Glow plug controller vs GPR? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2010, 12:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy Glow plug controller vs GPR?

I just bought a "new to me" 2003 F-250 7.3. I know NOTHING about diesels, so I need some help. When I went to look at this truck, the guy had a hard time starting the truck. He said it had been sitting for quite some time and that was the reason for the no-start. Eventually he ended up taking off the air filter and spaying some starter spray in the air intake. Truck started right up...blew white smoke for about 15 seconds. Test drove it. Drove fine. Started right up after it was driven. Took it to the mechanic for a pre-purchase inspection. He said there was a fault code regardomg a glow plug controller. He reset the check engine light. After I get the truck home, the next morning...truck does the same thing. Cranks and cranks, but never lights up. Go through the same routine spray the starter spray...no problems. Check engine light is back on. Since I am new to the forum, I have done some research on the other threads on GP's and GPR's...sounds like those are the culprits most of the time. Do you think this really might be a glow plug controller issue? Does the glow plug controller control the GPR? Nobody says much about the controller, so I just need some thoughts. I looked at Autozone..they have a part #20024 for $232.99. Is this where I should start? Not what I was hoping for on my "new" truck! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2010, 01:41 PM
Banned

Its the glow plug controler... Plug it in if you want to put it off...

STOP USEING STARTER FLUID.... If one of those glow plugs happens to be working, it could be ugly!
Old 11-18-2010, 01:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I had the truck plugged in all night and it wasn't even all that cold...probably in the upper 30's. Still didn't start. I know using the starter spray is no good...but that is the only option if I actually want to go somewhere in my "new" truck. On another forum somebody mentioned that some trucks have GPR's and others have GPCM's (glow plug control modules)...does my 2003 have both? How do I know? Is the autozone replacement my best bet to try first?
Old 11-18-2010, 02:36 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
You have one or the other. California model trucks had the module, 49 state trucks had the relay. Easiest way to tell is to look on the passenger side top of the motor. You will either have two relays, one for the air intake heater, or one relay and a box.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:40 PM
assistant director

my X has the controller it says it has california emissions on the emission sticker under the hood
Old 11-18-2010, 02:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks guys...now we are getting somewhere. I will take a look at that and see what to do from there. I hope it is the non-California type...I can get one of those Stancor relays for about $50 as opposed to the controller for $235. Stay tuned..I'll let you know what I find out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.