Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

New Guy with bad 7.3 HPOP, I think?

29K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  bqhtwins 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, new to the site but have a problem. This is my first diesel engine and it quit on me all of a sudden. History/facts: its a 2000 F250 7.3 (2WD) with 220K miles. (while Working offshore) I was told I had a mystery oil leak but the oil level was fine. Upon getting home, I noticed the truck loosing power while pulling my tractor and trailer, then it died. Would not start with either, found no power getting to fuel pump (was told the computer will do this for saving the engine?) Turn the key on on no fuel pumps into the filter can. Was told to replace the cam sensor, I did. Was told to replace the temp sensor on the HPOP, I did, still no start. Checked the oil level in the HPOP, it was empty. Solving the mystery oil leak, I filled the HPOP, reset the computer, still no start and no power to the fuel pump. Before I spend the $750-$950 for a HPOP to try and fix the problem and it not work, I am here looking for your experience in trying to solve this problem before wasting money. All the fuses and relays were checked out and good. What could I possibly check now? Any help would be grateful.

David

#4 ·
negative, the power has been shut down to the fuel pump by the computer I am told. I kept cycling the ignition while checking the wires going to the fuel pump, and nothing. Also watched the bowl as the key was turned on and no fuel. I have checked every fuse and relay under the hood and under the dash and they are all good. Being new to the powerstrokes or any other diesel, the local guys keep telling me to replace the HPOP. Easy to say if you are not the one spending the cash. When I found out the oil resivor on the HPOP was empty I refilled it. Do I have to prime this thing somehow or does it prime itself to the injectors?

#5 ·
I was told that if the computer shuts off power to the fuel pump, it could be a bad cam sensor/bad oil temp sensor (on HPOP)/bad oil press sensor (on HPOP). I replaced all three. Was also told that by placing a gas soaked rag over the intake and the motor wont even burb fart or try to start, that it could only be the HPOP. Now I understand the workings of what the HPOP does but. Something electrically it telling the computer not to run the fuel pump. Since I replaced the two sensors on the HPOP, then the computer should let the fuel pump run. Eventhough the fuses were good and checked with an ohm meter, I replaced with new ones and still no power getting to the fuel pump when I turn the engine over. I'd hate to drop $1K on a new HPOP and do the same thing. If you think it is not the HPOP at this point, I am up for suggestions to test some other things and let you know my results.

#8 ·
It could simply be a bad pump.

And NEVER use ether unless you unhook the glow plugs!!!

#11 ·
Ok, I understand that. I am told that if all fuses, relays, wiring and fuel pump are good (fuel pump was pulled off and hooked to a battery and ran) then it must be the HPOP. Again, that's why I am here, to get your advise. I am by no means a Diesel Mechanic. I welcome any ideas you may have to help fix this problem.

#13 ·
interesting, I'll make a note to check that out ( I guess by pulling the valve covers). the only thing in addition to the simptoms I mentioned is that my coolant level is half empty. I checked my oil and there is not any coolant in the oil. I do not know where it went, I have no signs of it on under the truck. The search for the answer continues. Thankd for your info.

#14 ·
dhanna6, I believe you. I just ran temp power from the batt to the fuel pump and the truck started and ran just fine. Knowing that the HPOP is not bad and it is an electrical problem opens another can of worms for me. Maybe the computer is bad? I am having a friend bring over a laptop/reader to plug in to see if there any codes present to try and fix this thing. I will let you know what comes up.

#15 ·
so what your saying is... you need to find which one of your fuses is blown? :-D

#16 ·
The thing is rankroddin250, is that myself and 2 other people have pulled/replaced every fuse and relay on the truck and none of them were bad. If the reader doesnt pull up any codes then I don't know what else to do. I am working offshore in Vietnam so I will have to wait another day or so before they can plug into the truck to see if it gives any codes while it is running.

#17 ·
how bout the fuel pump relay behind the radio?

#19 ·
well bjg8599, I am still waiting for the friend to come over with the laptop to plug in and see what codes show up after being able to get the engine running by running a jump wire from the battery to the fuel pump. The computer or something is not sending power to the fuel pump. I will post when that happens to share with everyone what we find out.

#21 ·
Jake, honestly I can't remember ( I was too mad when it first happened) but I will call the states and have them check to see if it comes on when the key is turned. Still stuck off-shore on a rig in Vietnam and have to get the brother-in law to do the checking for me. I will let you know when I get his answer.

#25 ·
I hope by this point you have gotten this figured out. I just ran across this post and I had the exact same issue. For me I traced the electrical line from the fuse box under the hood down to the firewall. I found there was a hole in the lines insulation and over the years it had corroded away. I clipped out the bad section and put in a butt connector and it was good to go. This was a pain however as I had to cut the harness wrapping off and get the one wire out of the harness to trace it.

#26 ·
here is my problem my son has a 2000 ford 7.3 one ton He just bought it a month ago ,drove great . Then one day it starts running rough then dies . He lets it set and it start only to go a couple if mile and did it again . He put a new filter in just in case .Drove from Iowa to mo did find after he got home started doing it again and continued to get worse ,sometimes even while idieling it will just die and not start . Then it may start and run for awhile then quit again . Put new fuel pump in ran for a little bit then died and now not getting fuel up to filter . Would hpop cause this or blocked line what could cause this

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.