Wastegate Problem? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2010, 03:58 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Wastegate Problem?

Hi-

I have a '01 7.3 L with an truck is mostly stock except for S&B CIA, 4" MBRP exhaust and bully dog T/S 6 pos switch.

I have noticed the past couple mornings (with the temps being in the upper 30's - lower 40's this time of year) that when Im driving to work - it sounds like a bunch of air is wooshing out of the exhaust at certain speed points. I also observe a small loss of power when accelarating during these points also. I tried this in the +50, 75 and 100 hp setting of my chip and experienced problems. When I switched it to stock setting - it seemed to stop.

I guess my first question is - when the wastegate dumps turbo boost pressure - where does it dump to? Does it dump to the exhaust? Only reason it seems like a wastegate issue to me is the associated loss of power when the woosh noise is heard.

Next - do the T/S chips modify wastegate dumping pressures or is that a hard setting in the wastegate device itself?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2010, 10:49 PM

this is just your exhuast backpressure valve closing to help heat your motor up faster

perfectly normal no problem there
Old 12-06-2010, 06:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i have a 99 and mine does it too till i've been driving for a bit and chip setting does not change much so i went crazy trying to see if something is wrong and it is just the valve to warm the engine but there is a sensor can remember the name exhaust something ill look into it that gets plugged up with soot and sends false readings and makes that valve open to early or open and close quickly its not hard to change or clean but not doing any thing will not cause any warm just going to be annoying as hell till the truck is warm
Old 12-06-2010, 01:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I think I have the same problem.
I have an 01 with a Hypertec tunning system. I have it set on stage 3 all the time. Normaly when its upto temp & you floor it you take off down the road like a wailing banshie. I've never heard a noise like the truley awesome sound from my stacks. It's like a cross between a very loud growl from a very angry dinasour & a jet engine on max.
It only realy makes this sound on stage 3.
Recently if I floor it & watch the rev counter you can see the revs go up towards 3000 then they start to drop back down & the noise is different I think. Then if you let off the throtle a little, the revs pick back up.
I've read a little about this valve thing that needs cleaning in the exhaust. Where is it?
Anybody got any pictures of it.

I think the excess boost get thrown out of the air filter. As I pull up hill my truck has allways hissed the excess boost out & if I have the music down (hardly ever, Im a metal head) People allways ask "what the hell is that"? as it hisses away like a p1ssed off steam train.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:58 PM
PMR = JUNK

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake
Just so you guys know, you will NEVER hear the wastegate.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:35 PM
Winning DUHHH

Guys, its the EBPV functioning normally.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.