Oil running down motor - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2010, 05:54 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy Oil running down motor

So I was under my 03 2wd f250 today and was changing the oil for the first time on this truck. I have not owned it very long. On the passanger side of the motor there is oil comming from some where. It is not bad enough that its making to my driveway but bad enough I can see it has run down the side of the motor all over the oil pan on the passanger side and all over the front of the trany. Because there is no drips in the driveway I am wondering if the oil is only leaking when the motor is up to temp or maybe when it gets up the rpms a bit. I can see it is comming from higher up on the motor not like the top of the oil pan but I can not tell if it is comming from the head. I am not sure where to start and right now do not really have the money to take it to somone. I was not very bringt in checkin to see if my truck was burning through oil before the change so I do not know if I was loosing enough to really see a difference on the dip stick.....also I wonder if its a new prob and thats why there is no oil on my driveway. I live in Gainesville, Fl if there is anyone that is close by that could help......please any advice would be amazing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2010, 05:56 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

could be coming from the turbo it is a PIA to find a leak on these things
Old 10-31-2010, 05:58 AM
Mod Newbie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLRobert View Post
So I was under my 03 2wd f250 today and was changing the oil for the first time on this truck. I have not owned it very long. On the passanger side of the motor there is oil comming from some where. It is not bad enough that its making to my driveway but bad enough I can see it has run down the side of the motor all over the oil pan on the passanger side and all over the front of the trany. Because there is no drips in the driveway I am wondering if the oil is only leaking when the motor is up to temp or maybe when it gets up the rpms a bit. I can see it is comming from higher up on the motor not like the top of the oil pan but I can not tell if it is comming from the head. I am not sure where to start and right now do not really have the money to take it to somone. I was not very bringt in checkin to see if my truck was burning through oil before the change so I do not know if I was loosing enough to really see a difference on the dip stick.....also I wonder if its a new prob and thats why there is no oil on my driveway. I live in Gainesville, Fl if there is anyone that is close by that could help......please any advice would be amazing.
Look down in the engine valley and see if you see any oil. There is a drain hole at the back of the block and any oil that is in the valley will run out that hole and down the back of the engine. If you have oil in th valley the most common cause is the HPOP high pressure fittings.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:10 AM

If the valley is the area in the middle of the motor I looked and it looks like it might be moist as if oil has been there....the only things i would ask is why would the oil run down the passanger side of the motor only and not the dirvers side....also when I look up the passagerside of the motor the oil seems to be comming from pretty high up. This is my first diesel and I have done work on cars and am mechanicly inclined but if it is the hpop high pressure fitting is this somthing a normal person can do or will I have to take it somwhere you think
Old 10-31-2010, 06:13 AM
Mod Newbie

Quote:
If the valley is the area in the middle of the motor I looked and it looks like it might be moist as if oil has been there....the only things i would ask is why would the oil run down the passanger side of the motor only and not the dirvers side....also when I look up the passagerside of the motor the oil seems to be comming from pretty high up. This is my first diesel and I have done work on cars and am mechanicly inclined but if it is the hpop high pressure fitting is this somthing a normal person can do or will I have to take it somwhere you think
The drain hole that is in the back of the block is on the passenger side. You can buy the high pressure fittings and replace them yourself. There is a special tool that makes them easier to get apart. It could also be the turbo pedestal o-rings like Goose mentioned. If that is the case, the turbo and pedestal would have to be removed to repair.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:35 AM
Too cool for school

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to taylorking Send a message via Yahoo to taylorking
Could be your turbo pedestal o-rings, or be coming out from your ebpv actuator. Mine leaked from there, so I unplugged it.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:11 PM

out of the two or three places you guys have mentioned if i where to run the motor with the hood up could I see it comming from any of these places? how fast would I be loosing oil?
Old 10-31-2010, 02:25 PM
Mod Newbie

Quote:
out of the two or three places you guys have mentioned if i where to run the motor with the hood up could I see it comming from any of these places? how fast would I be loosing oil?
If it is coming from the HPOP fittings the valley will be wet all the way at the front of the block. If it is turbo or pedestal o-rings, it would be more towards the back. It will be hard to see exactly where it is coming from and it depends on how bad the leak is as to how fast you will lose oil.
Old 10-31-2010, 02:52 PM

I can see pooled oil in the valley so I guess i will start with the hpop valve thing.....Is there anyone in the gainesville area that knows what they are doing and would be interested in helping me out?
Old 10-31-2010, 02:54 PM

Also, can anyone tell me where you can buy this or what it is exacly called when I am trying to buy it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.