New to forum and some questions, truck died last night. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2010, 06:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New to forum and some questions, truck died last night.

Hello
I just bought a 99 F250 XLT 7.3L crew cab 2wd, 270k miles It's very much the same as my dad's 99 but his is the long bed with the half doors. He is the reason I bought mine as his has served him very well for nearly 300k miles. My 90 Dodge Ram (360, 1 ton) was totaled while parked by a neighbor (bad story, don't ask).
So my new ride has a Banks Stinger package which includes the big head, stainless exhaust (no cat, is that normal for a TX truck?) ottominder and trans module. The truck starts easy and pulls strong, but takes a while to spool up. Driving home last night I was about 1/8 tank (still 1st tank from purchase, dealer filled it when I bought it) and I noticed there was a miss or stutter to the power maintaining speed at around 70. This became little and then no power over the next mile and soon I could not hold an idle. I checked the oil, all looks good, nice and clean, recent Ford oil change at the dealer. I was close to Dad's place so I called him for advice, he headed my way. While waiting for him, about 10 min later I tried to start it again, it fired up and would rev so I pointed it towards a gas station I spotted on the other side of the freeway. I filled it up and he arrived. He opened the water separator drain on the fuel filter and dumped some fuel. It was night so I really did not get a good look at the stuff but this seemed to clear the problem. The truck ran great on the ~30 mile drive home. Once I got off the interstate, I noticed the truck seems to rev up much more quickly than before, there is a lot more power off the line. The turbo spools up more quickly.
I'm a diesel NEWB. With that out of the way, I'm mechanically inclined, I build vintage triumph motors so I know how to turn a wrench. The truck looks well maintained and is super clean. What else should I look for or be concerned about? My assumption was that there's crap in the fuel and getting lower than 1/4 tank may not be advisable until I have the tank drained at some point.
I'm open to advice and speculation, and, I'm sure, an education. I'd like to know what is where on the motor and what I should be expecting to do outside of oil changes on this truck. gratuitous pic:

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
New to forum and some questions, truck died last night.-photo.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2010, 07:15 AM
Serving Our Country!

well let me be the first
Welcome To The Org

ok now thats aside
you got a nice truck
and the no cat thing is very big in texas
i don't know anyone with a diesel (that works on or does performance upgrades) with a cat or a muffler

anyway i think if you run some diesel kleen through it and drain the
water separator then you should be ok
Old 10-30-2010, 07:16 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Do a search on, Hutch and Harpoon mods. What you experience, is air being entered into the fuel system. Until you, atleast do the "hutch" mod, i wouldnt run her below 1/4 tank. Or another name, 7.3 "in tank" mod.

Welcome to guzzle's In-tank Hutch Mod Web Page
Old 10-30-2010, 08:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thank you for the quick replies, and the welcome. I do have a muffler but it is the Banks "monster" so at least it's free flow. It looks like I could spend quite some time at guzzle's site, thank you for the link.
I was also reading about another water drain plug, HFCM, I don't know the abbreviations, is there a wiki or guide somewhere?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.