No power/ smoking please help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2010, 06:51 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No power/ smoking please help

Last night while driving my truck to work the engine lost power had a lope idle and killed. I was low on diesel so I filled it up and it still ran like crap. I had it towed to my dads shop. This morning I changed the fuell filter and oil/ filter. It still isn't running right. It idles with a slight miss and vibration. When you apply the throttle it smokes grayish blue and smells like raw fuel. It does not smell like burnt oil. I know that there is a lot of sensors and such that could cause this as well as a hung injector. Can y'all help me with some tips? I am currently working 12 hr shifts at night and do not have that much free time to research and trouble shoot it. I am having to drive offroad rig till it's fixed.

I'd like to change the cps.

My buddy that's a diesel mechanic thinks it's a hung injector. Engine has 129k miles and I bought it with 101k. Any help and tips as to what to trouble shoot would be greatly appriciated.

Last edited by CajunFX4; 10-30-2010 at 05:36 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2010, 07:27 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Make sure you got oil in the pan, along with inside the HPOP..(located under the "powerstroke" cover). Theres an allen bolt, directly on top, remove it, make sure theres oil, about 1/2in from top of it.

With run'n out of fuel, your gonna need to keep driving it, now with fuel in tank, to get the air outta the system.....thats best advise i got.
Old 10-30-2010, 03:20 PM

the crank case has oil.. I havnt checked the hpop oil but I do plan to check it and possibly change it just to see if it helps any.
Old 10-30-2010, 04:50 PM

could a bad ICP, IPR or IDM cause it to run like crap without throwing a SES?

Last edited by CajunFX4; 10-30-2010 at 04:54 PM.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:11 AM

I just ordered AE from Sinister Diesel. Everyone I've talked to thinks its a or a few injectors..

The truck does fire right up, smokes a little, then only smokes if i apply heavy throttle.

I have been reading as much as I can(very hard to search this forum and find exact symptoms).

I do want to check the harness connectors and change/check the HPOP oil asap. I did check for blow by and it was normal like before. The oil cap will sit on the tube without getting blown off.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:04 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
unplug the icp sensor which is located on the driver head, does it change?
Old 10-31-2010, 05:57 AM

I started it this morning.. it idled rough and smoked.. turned it off

I unplugged the ICP, I did notice some oil in the plug. Is that normal? With it unplugged it ran the same but did throw the SES.

I plugged the ICP back up and unplugged the MAT on the manifold. Still no difference.

I shut it off and plugged the MAT back in. Cranked it up, it idled rough a lil bit and then evened out. Throttle response is back, rpms shoot up, no smoke. I brought the engine up to operating temp and drove it about a mile down the road and back to my house. No smoke, all power is back it seems.

I think I may wait and see what a buzz and contribution test comes back with once my AE arrives. I dont want to damage the engine if there is something wrong.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:09 PM

I started the truck today with no problems. No smoke and all my power was back.. I drove it about 5 miles down the road and back. Brought it up to 90mph with no issues and no smoke.

From reading on here I have gathered that the ICP shouldnt have oil in the plug. Hopefully I can find on locally at one of the International dealerships. Also hope to find a black CPS.. doubt I will find one without having to get it online.

I am thinking that I may have sucked air into the fuel system when I ran it low. When the problem started my fuel light had just came on and I was going over a steep overpass. Also since I put the leveling kit the front of my truck sits higher than the rear putting more fuel to the back of the tank. Do yall think this could have been my problem? Once I started to think about it the motor ran similar to a diesel generator or tractor that runs out of fuel and you have to bleed the injectors for it to run right.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:17 PM
Banned

correct. icp should not have oil. you can also find them less expensive on ebay. i got mine there not too long ago.

and its possible that the fuel in the tank could be doing that. but you gotta run it real low.

but if you left the key on and engine off, the fuel pump runs anyway and would fill up the filter bowl.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:43 PM
Viking Heavy Diesel

It is very possible that running the fuel so low may have sucked air in to the system which in turn would cause your truck to run like a dog. Let us know what the results of the buzz test are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.