99 F250 diesel hesitates/dies intermittently - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2010, 07:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
99 F250 diesel hesitates/dies intermittently

Hi Folks,

New member here, sorry in advance if I break any protocols. I have a 99 F250 diesel. Every so often I'll be driving down the road and the "water in fuel," "check engine," and "wait to start" lights all come on at the same time, stay on a few seconds while the engine falls to idle, and then all go off and the engine recovers power. Lately it happens more often, and sometimes the engine actually dies altogether. Several times it has happened when I was taking a turn at the bottom of a hill, but it has also happened driving straight ahead on the highway. May happen more often when it's wet outside.

I (very novice) thought it might be some clog in the fuel line, so I changed the filter and added diesel conditioner, but no change. The local dealership tells me they want to replace the CMP sensor ($350) and transmission range sensor ($450) for starters, and then they'll be able to tell more. It feels like they're just shooting in the dark. Do these proposed fixes fit the symptoms, and are those prices in the ballpark? It seems like I'm just a walking wallet to them.

Thanks in advance.

Paul
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2010, 07:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Well, the CMP runs under $50 for the part, and all it takes is a 10mm socket to replace it. It's a 2 min job. Its a common failure point on these engines, most guys carry a spare in the glove box. Usually though when they go out they'll leave you stranded.

I'm not real sure about the range sensor, but it doesnt make any sense to me.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

check for cmp recall on your truck. i just took mine in to dealer and replaced for free. Ford recall. cmp may only be part of the problem ,same symptoms can also be under valve cover wire harness and exhaust back pressure sensor and tube. all of wich ford will charge hundreds of dollars for repair, if you are mechanicly inclined what so ever you can do all on your own for a couple hundred and half a days work. i recomend a good code reader and if you have a chip retune to stock tuning before any servicing
Old 11-01-2010, 08:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for your thoughts. I did get a cmp sensor and will install it and let the forum know the result. The dealership "cleaned the connection" at the sensor, and that by itself seems to have helped (no engine cut-out since then), thought the light at the end of the shift is still blinking. What code reader do you recommend? I'm willing to get one to be able to do some more of my own diagnostics. The dealership also said there might be wiring harness problems revealed once the CMP is changed.
Paul
PS Alas, I put in my VIN, and my vehicle is not involved in the CMP recall. Just acceptable failure, I guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.