Turbo Cutting Out?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2010, 04:46 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Turbo Cutting Out??

I did the boost fooler mod from Riff Raff, and if I am just driving around and get on the truck a little I can build over 20 psi without the fuel cutting out, I have built it up to 30 psi but never pushed it past that. I was towing my 5th wheel camper this weekend and if in 6th gear and get on the go pedal it will only build up to 11 psi and then do the pss pss pss pss like it was cutting out the fuel supply as if I did not have the boost fooler and it would cut out around 20 psi in any gear. It only does this in 6th gear, if I were taking off from a stop sign and got on it a little I could build up to about 18 or 20 psi. Any thoughts? I had the chip set on 60hp tow setting and was getting 12 MPG.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2010, 02:54 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
pss,psss pss sounds like turbo surge to me. My truck with the stock turbo would always do that and I would lose boost pressure. I put a wicked wheel and a turbomaster wastegate controller on it and I can push 30 pds of boost anytime I choose. No surge. I think there's a mod to tighten the wastegate rod and disconnect the red boost line from the wastegate for a sorta cheap fix. Do a search on here for it.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:08 AM

Where did you get your turbomaster wastegate controller and how much did that run you? I was looking at a wicked wheel or I might be able to get my hands on an early 99 wheel which I think is suppose to be very similar.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:06 AM
Premium Member

Turbomaster from Dieselsite, I think it' s like $180, I think they have the wicked wheel for about $100. If your going to take the turbo off to do this you'll need a Turbo oring kit to. I had my turbo off anyway to replace the up pipes as the donut gaskets where leaking so throwing the wicked wheel and wastegate on took 30 minutes at the most. I got my wicked wheel and a bunch of o-ring stuff from Guzzles site. There are writeups on the forum to do it on the truck but it looks like a pain to get small clips on and off. Basically if you drop them they may be gone for good. If I remember right the turbo oring kit gives you a couple clips and a small string to tie on to it because they tend to go by by the first time if you do it on the truck. Once you get all of the stuff out of the way which you need to do anyway to do it with the turbo on the truck its fairly straight forward. Two band clamps one on Downpipe flange, one on up pipe flange, two bolts on the turbo and a clip on the EBPV rod. The install instructions are fairly straight forward and easy to follow. My truck surged like mad when I chipped it even with the stock injectors. This cured my truck until I get enough money together to go to the Garret 38R BB turbo and a better intercooler this spring to go with the larger injectors I just put in.

As far as the 99 wheel goes, I think that it has to be an early 99 wheel. I'm not sure. Somebody else may chime in on that. Or do a search on here for it.

Good Luck
Old 10-28-2010, 06:18 AM

Send a message via AIM to southern7.3
Wicked wheel is what I put in my truck to help the surge....didn't cure it all though. Still does it sometimes
Old 11-19-2010, 03:37 AM

Can I put the Turbomaster on without removing the turbo? And if so is there anything else I should replace while doing it? Do I just go ahead and do a Wicked Wheel at the same time? Thanks
Old 11-19-2010, 03:45 AM

WW is an E99 wheel, yes. It will PROBABLY get rid of all your surge, but not guaranteed.
If that's a stock turbo, be careful when you start getting up around 28-30. Stock doesn't like to/can't handle that much boost for long.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.