Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Oil in engine valley

14K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  Lowdown89 
#1 ·
Ok, so just under the fuel pump/HPOP area I am beginning to see a puddle of oil forming in a low spot in the "lifter" valley, I can mop it up and its full again after a day of going to work and back, also she is starting to "leak" out the rear of the engine in the bell housing area, I am sure this is from the other leak. I am thinking that its probably a leaking HPOP since unless I keep it plugged in (block heater) its a witch with a capital B to start on just a cool morning. Once started it has no power down low till warmed up and feels like its missing, smokes (black) like a freight train then it gets better once it warms up some. Once fully warmed up I can floor board it while in gear and it will chug for a small distance, then all of a sudden it belches out a cloud of black smoke and it has full power from there on out. Once warm its a perfect truck. I dunno what up with this old girl. Oh yea, shes a 03 7.3 Auto 147k miles

#2 ·
My was not an oil leak

I found the steel fuel return line (from back of passenger side head) had a small leak causing "oil " puddling and eventually oil running down back of engine & onto the converter cover. Check your fuel lines.

#3 ·
#5 ·
Yea I looked at that one, I think its either my HPOP or the Gasket for it.

#6 ·
Upon further looking I think Its the o-rings at the HPOP for the oil line going to the drivers side head. Kit in enroute

#7 ·
Replaced the O-Rings in and on the fittings for the Oil Lines and not only did it cure my oil leak, they also made my truck idle a little smoother. One step closer to being the truck I know she can be

#8 ·
I got to this thread too late :doh: Thats what I was going to tell you about your leak. Easy to diagnose, easy to fix :thumb: I have all kinds of info and links for you regarding oil leaks, but it looks like you got it taken care of :thumb: Good deal bud :nod:

As far as your cold start issues, you gotta check out your glow plug system thoroughly. Probably at the very least a bad relay :thumb: Another easy fix, but I would do it before it gets too too cold.

#9 ·
I got to this thread too late :doh: Thats what I was going to tell you about your leak. Easy to diagnose, easy to fix :thumb: I have all kinds of info and links for you regarding oil leaks, but it looks like you got it taken care of :thumb: Good deal bud :nod:

Thanks

As far as your cold start issues, you gotta check out your glow plug system thoroughly. Probably at the very least a bad relay :thumb: Another easy fix, but I would do it before it gets too too cold.
Done, New UVC harnesses and VC Gaskets, did the stancor relay mod, still a cold blooded *itch. I'm trying it out cold turkey tonight to see if these O-Rings did the trick, though that would be too easy

#10 ·
Did you check each glow plug with an ohm meter. If 3 or4 or more glow plugs are bad a new relay won't fix it. Just somewhere else to check if the problem continues :thumb:

#11 ·
Yup, Replaced them at the time I did the Gaskets and UVC Harnesses

#12 ·
So did it start OK last night?

#13 ·
Nope, it tried, but just couldn't catch, plugged it in for an hour and it jumped right off and ran like a million bucks. Oh well I can't expect for one thing like a O-Ring to be a miracle cure. Electrical is usually the only thing like that. But she does run out a lot better and smoother, so now I have even more confidence that her problem is with her injectors. 2 failed a buzz test and 2 others failed the contribution test. Although this is totaly off the threads topic, how much "smoke" is acceptable out of the fill tube on idle. I'll post up a video on photobucket of it so everyone can see how much blow by she has

#14 ·
A certain amount is ok, but with your other issues it sounds like you may have too much

#16 ·
PM sent :thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.