7.3 just started doing a long crank to start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2010, 06:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 just started doing a long crank to start

My 99.5 250 hp 7.3 has just started doing the long crank issue. Truck has always started on the second to third time the engine turns over. Now its 8 or 10 times before it starts.
I went to the store and it started fine, went to leave store, and it was 8-10 times and has been that way for a week now. I replaced the IPR o-rings, new Airtex lift pump and fuel filter. I'm thinking it has to be something in the low pressure or high pressure oil system.
The truck has always started 2nd or 3rd time spinning over, 18 or 118 outside, engine hot or cold for days at a time. The truck has 174000 miles, no codes set. Truck runs fine after starting. I don't know what has changed in between those two trips 15 mins apart. Where do I need to start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2010, 07:53 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

It was hot that second time you went to start. The engine that is. IDM maybe.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It does it hot or cold now. Same amount of revolutions. Tach shows approximately 300 rpms when cranking. Disconnected the ICP and the truck runs rough until throttle is moved and lack of power. Disconnected the Oil Pressure sensor with no start. Disconnected the Oil Temp sensor, no different in starting. I have yet to see any post on any site that tells how they fixed a Long Crank or Hard Start issue. I have found several post like mine with the long crank and no answers on any of them. It would seem to me that something has broken I.e. o-ring, sensor, check valve or the like.
The engine set some funny codes too. P1249, P1670, P7A00, P68C3, P79FC. I know what the 1249 and 1670 are, my wasegate controlling valve is bad. It sets there and pulses open and closed so I disconnected it years ago. What are the other ones? They showed up after I disconnected the sensors?

Last edited by mrproffitt; 10-17-2010 at 09:39 AM. Reason: more info
Old 10-25-2010, 08:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I don't know the fix but I can tell you I am having the same problem but mine started differently. My truck has trash/water in the bottom of the tank and when it gets down to about 1/4 tank or lower it starts running rough. Well one day it died at a quarter tank. I put fuel in it and it would not start so I towed it home. I filled it up completely with good fuel and it still would not start so I changed the fuel filter. After I changed the fuel filter it started and ran rough so I let it idle for about 30 minutes. After that it has always started up fine but it has to turn over 8-10 times when before it only took 2-4 times. I had a 24V CTD before this and it would literally start on the first turnover so it frustrates me to have to wait so long for it start. I know it is hard on the batteries and starter to have to turn over so much.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:27 PM

How many miles do you have on your oil? When my oil gets to the end of its life i get the same thing. It cranks for a little longer to start. The oil gets really foamy and it take alot of oil pressure to run the injectors. I think the oil breaking down just takes more to pump the injectors. As soon as a change my oil, im back to starting right up. Just a suggestion
Old 09-25-2011, 12:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well, its almost been a year since I started this post and still no answers. I have replaced the ICP sensor, IPR valve, and just installed an SRP-1 HPOP today and there is still no change in the long crank issue. My truck has 1900012 as of today and a co-worker has a 97 with 230k and his starts faster than mine. Does anyone have any ideas on what else may cause the long crank issue?????????
Old 09-25-2011, 02:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I also replaced the fuel pump with an Airtex unit months back, did the fuel filter plunger delete mod in the fuel bowl. Replaced all injector O-rings and glow plugs with Diesel Site plus the GPR. I'm now looking to start pulling the heads to get to the drain back check ball and possible IDM.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:22 PM

It could be the anti drain back check valve in the HPOP reservoir?
I mean unless it keeps it from starting fully, I wouldn't worry about it too much personally. It'd still bug the heck outta me though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.