injector & A-E help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2010, 05:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
injector & A-E help

First off I want to say thank you to all the members on this board. I have found an amazing amount of info and help on here. I am no stranger to the diesel world, however I am fairly new to the Powerstroke community and brand new to AutoEnginuity.
I have a '02 7.3L that wouldn't start unless plugged in and cranked on forever. When it would start, it would smoke a white/blue cloud until warmed up well. A new glow plug relay fixed the starting issue, but the smoking continues for miles down the road until the engine is hot. When first starting down the road I will get an engine light on when heavily accelerating. I purchased A-E today. Did not find any codes for the engine light. I ran an injector buzz test as well as a cylinder contribution test. These are the results:

P1272 Cylinder #2 High to Low Side Open
P1277 Cylinder #7 High to Low Side Open
P1273 Cylinder #3 High to Low Side Open
P1274 Cylinder #4 High to Low Side Open
P1294 Injector High Side Open - Bank 2

P0284 Cylinder 8 Injector Circuit Contribution / Balance Fault

Does this mean I've got 5 injectors on their way out or bad? Does it point to a valve cover wire harness issue as well?

Any input or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2010, 08:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

The #8 issue is a non-issue, as the Long Lead injector on the later trucks tends to throw the balance off a bit.

the P1294 suggests either a bad connection at the valve cover, or a bad harness under the cover.

The high to low side open codes can be thrown by bad solenoids, or by bad wiring leading to the injectors from the IDM. I would tend to take a DMM, and after unplugging the connectors at the valve covers, check the valve cover harnesses for continuity and resistance to each injector, and each glow plug.

Everything points to those harnesses, although I would also look at the pins in the respective connectors, and check it all thoroughly before throwing parts at it.

Good luck.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks Highwaywrench.

I should have mentioned I did check the resistance to each injector and glow plug at the harness on the outside of the valve cover(s). I believe I had around 2.7-2.9 for the injectors (between each injector pin and the "common" pin) for each harness and 0.7ish for glow plugs between the pin and a good ground. I did this in hopes it was just the harness. But with those numbers I'm not quite sold that it is the only issue. If injector(s) are needed, I certainly will do the harness fix as well since it'll be torn apart.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:02 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
I say you have a bad under the valve cover harness. Althought it maybe both sides. I say this because cylinders 2,3,4 are on the passenger side of the engine. Cylinder 7 is on the driverside.

How is the engine running. If you have that many open circuits then you should be running real rough. I had the same problem on my 02. I lost the whole passenger side of the engine. I replaced the uvc harness on that side of the engine and well it cured the problem I had. The harness is around 40 dollars new from the dealer. In my opinion it is worth the gamble.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

On a 7.3, cylinders 1,3,5,7 are on the right (passenger) bank, and 2,4,6,8 are on the left ( driver's) bank.

the reason I am pointing at the harnesses, is the odds of two cylinders per bank, failing exactly the same way, at the same time, well, its pretty astronomical.

The High side open on bank 2 points directly at the harness. At the main connector either outside, or just inside the valve cover gasket.

Those numbers for the resistance are decent, however, you could have an intermittent problem, caused by heat, or vibration.

Check it out, and let me know what you find.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:59 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwaywrench View Post
On a 7.3, cylinders 1,3,5,7 are on the right (passenger) bank, and 2,4,6,8 are on the left ( driver's) bank.

the reason I am pointing at the harnesses, is the odds of two cylinders per bank, failing exactly the same way, at the same time, well, its pretty astronomical.

The High side open on bank 2 points directly at the harness. At the main connector either outside, or just inside the valve cover gasket.

Those numbers for the resistance are decent, however, you could have an intermittent problem, caused by heat, or vibration.

Check it out, and let me know what you find.
It is possible to have two bad UVC Harnesses.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

This morning I went out and started the smoker up. Checked codes and came up with a new one while it was warming up. It also shows up when accelerating before it is fully warm.

P1316 IDM code detected

Read some more on here regarding that code and decided to go get a couple harnesses from the dealer. We shall see if it fixes the issue(s).
Old 10-13-2010, 09:51 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench-head View Post
This morning I went out and started the smoker up. Checked codes and came up with a new one while it was warming up. It also shows up when accelerating before it is fully warm.

P1316 IDM code detected

Read some more on here regarding that code and decided to go get a couple harnesses from the dealer. We shall see if it fixes the issue(s).
The harnesses even buying two is a lot cheaper then a new idm.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

New harnesses and valve cover gaskets. Did a buzz test first just for grins. Passed and they sounded decent. Fired it up and it started a little better but smoked like mad again. IDM error code came up again as well. #$#%&^$@# After it ran for a bit I shut it down and ran a buzz test again. And wouldn't you know it, I got the same 4 cylinders with high to low side open. No bank 2 fault this time tho. WTH?!?!?!?! Beyond frustrating. What's next, a IDM? Can't imagine that'll be cheap. Don't like just throwin parts at it all that much.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Nothing is consistant besides the P1316 code coming on and shutting off. Ran it for a short time again and then buzzed. Only injector #3 had an issue. Nothing can be consistant or simple I guess. Any ideas out there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.