No smoke......... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2010, 02:58 PM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No smoke.........

means it's a fuel issue correct? So far it seems thats what I've read online and heard from shadetree mechanics. If my truck has a low boost issue, but doesn't blow any color of smoke, it's not getting enough fuel??? I would assume that if it was just a boost leak it would blow some sort of smoke atleast on the initial take off correct?

Last edited by junkman306; 10-04-2010 at 03:01 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2010, 03:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

no if its stock it shouldnt smoke at all... smoke is unburnt fuel so if you have no smoke your burning all your fuel efficiently
Old 10-04-2010, 03:20 PM
Emergency Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman590 View Post
no if its stock it shouldnt smoke at all... smoke is unburnt fuel so if you have no smoke your burning all your fuel efficiently
Right, given the truck was in 100% operating condition, but it has a low boost problem so I would think that when I first take off, especially under hard acceleration, it should blow a little black smoke due to the turbo not making the appropriate boost right?
Old 10-04-2010, 03:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Hmmm... I could see that being a possibility... I would start off with what I knew was wrong. The low boost issue would be my main concern and then start addressing any fuel or other issues... Just my .02
Old 10-04-2010, 03:35 PM
Emergency Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman590 View Post
The low boost issue would be my main concern and then start addressing any fuel or other issues... Just my .02
But here's my dilemma. People are telling me that if it was just a low boost issue, it would smoke due to x amount of fuel being delivered assuming x amount of boost will be there, but if there's no smoke, then the low boost issue could be caused by a fuel issue, not making enough heat and exhaust to spool the turbo properly, hence my original post.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:29 PM

i have the same issue with my truck. i have my bullydog turned up to the 125hp setting and still will not blow out smoke. my boost gauge hits a little over 30LBs and over boost light comes on but no black smoke. i havent figured it out yet either. i wish i could have black smoke, and i finally did a couple of weeks ago when my injectors went out! it will be rolling next week so hopefully the stage 1s will make it smoke!
Old 10-07-2010, 06:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

your not gonna blow any smoke when stock, unless your truck is having issues.

and from what ive seen you usually wont blow large amounts of smoke unless your running bigger tunes.
Old 10-08-2010, 04:56 PM
Emergency Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullyDogJason View Post
your not gonna blow any smoke when stock, unless your truck is having issues.

and from what ive seen you usually wont blow large amounts of smoke unless your running bigger tunes.
My truck is having issues though. Thats why I'm asking. If it was a turbo issue, wouldn't it blow a little smoke when I first take off assuming the air will be there from the boost until it realizes that there is no boost??? Since there's no smoke at all, that would lead me to believe that it is fuel related and not turbo related. On a side note, I pulled my charge pipes off wednesday and cleaned all the soot off them and the couplings and clamps, checked the turbo for "dusting" and shaft play, and put it back together. The turbo spins free as a bird, no shaft plat at all, and looked fine. The clamps are all tight. So I'm starting to think that if it has a boost issue it must be on the exhaust side, such as the EBPV butterfly or something. It seriously feels like there's something in the way when it's floored and it doesn't make the boost it should. Here's a pic of the turbo on the intake side:

Old 10-08-2010, 05:05 PM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to harley1rocker Send a message via Skype™ to harley1rocker
Quote:
Originally Posted by smkn22s View Post
i have the same issue with my truck. i have my bullydog turned up to the 125hp setting and still will not blow out smoke. my boost gauge hits a little over 30LBs and over boost light comes on but no black smoke. i havent figured it out yet either. i wish i could have black smoke, and i finally did a couple of weeks ago when my injectors went out! it will be rolling next week so hopefully the stage 1s will make it smoke!
stage 1 will make her roal some coal fer sure!!! get you some tw tunes...you will love it..

and if you have a low boost issue,start with the uppipes,replace old worn parts,inspect everything that has to do with boost,then check fuel psi.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:14 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I get what your saying , low boost due to motor not spooling the turbo . I would check your fuel pressure and see if it is low . Does the truck seem to run ok other than when mashing it , you know just cruising along , no boost needed . I don't know how our trucks control fueling based on boost . I have been wondering because people do the boost fouler without problems . I wish I could help more but am new to modding diesels .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.