Start...No start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2010, 04:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Start...No start

Hi Ladies and Gents!

Question, I'm looking at buying an '02 F-350 from a private party. He was kind enough to disclose that in the last month and a half, he's had an intermittant problem starting the truck when warm. He says it always starts, no problem, when the engine is cold. It usually starts when warm. But, on 15-18 warm start attempts, nothing. It won't start until he lets the motor cool down.

He says he's taken it to a Ford dealer and they couldn't find anything, it didn't throw any codes, nothing. Basically, they told him there was nothing they could do since they couldn't get it to happen for them.

Any ideas out there? This is a very nice truck, the price is decent but I don't want to get into chasing gremlins right from the git-go...the price isn't THAT good!

This Newb thanks you folks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2010, 05:03 PM

ill give u all the advice i can give we have a fleet of 6.0's and im sure this one has a 7.3 but id almost say it was the high pressure oil pump and if the dealer cant figure that out then if u do buy it dont use them
Old 09-28-2010, 05:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick49001 View Post
ill give u all the advice i can give we have a fleet of 6.0's and im sure this one has a 7.3 but id almost say it was the high pressure oil pump and if the dealer cant figure that out then if u do buy it dont use them

I'd start by checking the ICP and IPR with a scan tool.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I thank you gents very much!
Old 09-30-2010, 06:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So far, the owner has not availed me the opportunity to do any code scans and I'm thinking he may not. I know it's impossible to troubleshoot without having hands on...so I'll just ask the general consensus if this might be a difficult to find and expensive fix or something less? I really like the truck but considering my current financial condition...
Old 10-03-2010, 03:14 PM

i guess the question is do u want to pay for a truck that u know wont dont run right. i can give u first hand advice from myself i bought a 03 f-250 3 weeks ago that has a issue i havnt figured out yet. im not very happy about the situation as i thought it was an easy fix but i didnt invest so much money into it that its killin me to fix it if u think its worth it buy it if u think it isnt leave it sit and if you can do the labor yourself it will make the labor cost and repair cheaper!!
Old 10-04-2010, 08:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks, Nick. I can certainly do the labor myself, grew up in a shop though Dad taught me the ins and outs of the small block Chevrolet, not any diesel knowledge. I owned a Brand B truck for several years that I did all the maintenance on. Loved the Cummins but the rest of the truck was so-so at best. Love the Ford pickup and this particular example is very nice for 183K. That's why I was just hoping somebody would have a ton of 7.3 experience such that this issue might have been something someone had seen before. Guess I gotta get off the fence and make a decision...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.