Glow plug relay - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2010, 02:21 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Glow plug relay

it only reads 10.5v. whats that about? most of my GP's are weak or bad. a couple 40* mornings equals some hard starts now, and it aint even cold yet. i'll be replacing ALL 8 gp's, just not sure what 10.5 volts mean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2010, 03:32 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Where are you reading 10.5v? If it's at the batteries, you either need new batteries or have a bad connection to the batteries.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:34 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
That means your GPR is shot. Replace that before you change your GP's
Old 09-28-2010, 06:02 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I agree that your glowplug relay is probably shot. The best way to check it is to connect your voltmeter across the 2 large terminals and cycle the key. If you get more than .25 volts on the meter then the relay is failed. I usually cycle the key several times to make sure that there is no dead spot in the relay.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchuricht View Post
Where are you reading 10.5v? If it's at the batteries, you either need new batteries or have a bad connection to the batteries.
im reading 10.5 of the driver side large post of the gp relay. both batts read 12+ when i put the meter on em. i thought relays were good or bad, nothing between. my mechanic said it could just be the load on it. thoughts...

i got a deal on a set of 8 plugs, its on the list no matter what.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:57 PM

guess everyones stumped
Old 09-30-2010, 08:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

replacing the GPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
i went to carquest today and requested a GPR for my wife's 2000 Excursion 7.3L. the quoted $200.00. napa quoted me the $200.00 also but the part they showed was the GPR Module for california vehicels. carquest however, after talking with them gave me the $24.00 starter solenoid and said that that's the part i needed. they both look the same with the GPR but i'm not sure.

are they exchangeable?
Old 09-30-2010, 08:27 PM
Powerstroke Techie

If you have 2 large relays right next to one another then one is for the intake heater and the other is the glow plug relay. I was told by my parts manager that they are not interchangeable. Different part numbers. The glow plug relay can be identified as the one that has the brown and yellow wires coming off of one of the large lugs. Also if my memory serves me correctly I thought that all excursions were california emissions. And if that's the case and they have the glow plug module with the 2 large black and green connectors then that is not interchangeable with the relay that you purchased.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by forddieseldoctor View Post
If you have 2 large relays right next to one another then one is for the intake heater and the other is the glow plug relay. I was told by my parts manager that they are not interchangeable. Different part numbers. The glow plug relay can be identified as the one that has the brown and yellow wires coming off of one of the large lugs. Also if my memory serves me correctly I thought that all excursions were california emissions. And if that's the case and they have the glow plug module with the 2 large black and green connectors then that is not interchangeable with the relay that you purchased.
i bought my excursion in alaska. i was about to buy the module but decided to check the part instead. good thing. it is the gpr. i just queried carquest and napa online and found the parts gpr109/110 from napa and 56-2430 or 56-2426 from carquest. the starter solenoid i have is a 25-1522. i'll go in an exchange tomorrow. the carquest parts look like the one i have in the car. plus, they are made in the US not China. they may last. the gpr i currently have is the original and the excursion has 215K miles on it. my wife loves the car, crashed twice in it here in alaska. both times she was towed out of the snow with no major issues.

thanks for the help. i'll let you know tomorrow. maybe i'll hold onto the solenoid. i may need it.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i put in the new gpr from carquest 5602426 and it's been working great. it hasn't been starting at below 40 but so far, it's been doing fine. It motors right up on the first crank. The bracket however did fit exactly on but it seem to be dong fine with just one nut.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.